Chapter 5

A giant leaf broke free from the uppermost branch of the tree of time. It was still green. The health of the leaf was questionable though. In three spots there were scars visible – breaks in the cellular fabric. These holes, barely visible to the naked eye, spelled doom for the occupants of this portion of the cosmic plane. They were (the holes, tears, gaps, scars, what have you) indicative of breaks made by the organic members of the leaf itself. That is, these tears were not rent by some outside force. They were effected from within. The system was self destructing.

Leaves of this type and kind weren't supposed to break from the tree as this one had. In actuality, no leaf was supposed to break from the tree. None were created to do so. That some did break came as a great concern to the one who had planted the tree and was its constant caregiver. Some he knew would break. And there were others that he thought might falter. But this one, he had supposed, would be strong longer. On more than one occasion he had seen one of the great leaves break – at the stem, along the base, across the middle – and had to intercede.

This time would be no different. The tree was not complete without all of them after all. He had designed it to be an ever-green, ever growing, ever expanding life. All of the pieces were essential. It had begun with the simplest sort of complexity. Now, the tree was matured and developed and infinitely more complex. But all of the parts now existent were written into the original plan. Each leaf and stem and square inch of bark was part of the beginning seed. If one was going to break away, he was going to bring it back.