Chapter One

It all started with my parents. They hurt me both physically and mentally for a supposed "inner strength".  All it did was weaken me and change my perspective on love. I thought they loved me. I thought wrong. In my small town, people are governed by a group of power hungry men. They make all people living in their "land" pay a ridiculous rent. When this rent is payed an hour late, the men take a item of value. I was terrified of those men, now I despise them.

My family was one of those unfortunate families who payed their rent an hour and 11 minutes late. That day is forever burned into my mind like an illness that never recedes. They came knocking on to our door with such loudness I thought I was to go deaf.

"Open up. I order you to open the door in the name of the EPI," said a man who's taunting voice I wish I could forget.

"Father!" I shouted, fear stinging throughout my voice. It was risky disturbing him in his work, but it was much more risky opening the door without his consultation. I shivered in remembrance of the last time I did that. The scar still remains.

"What the hell are you up to now?!" His voice was swaying, which wasn't new. My father was the town's drunkard.

When he got to the door, he realized the severity of the problem.

"Sir, I command you to open the door. Your daughter comes with me," the enticing man ordered.

When Father finally gathered his bearings, he opened the door. Without hesitation, the man from the EPI grasped my arm. The sudden, hurtful pain hardly made me wince. I was too used to the feeling for it to surprise me.

"Your disobedience to the law of rent has not gone unnoticed by the officials of the EPI, your superiors," the man said.

My father didn't think twice before saying, "Take her. What do I care?" Those were the most painful few words I had ever heard in my life. It was one thing to be abused by your father and ignored by your mother, but it was another to know that your parents didn't care, or love you.

In the corner of my fearful eyes, I saw a needle long enough to cause one to become unconscious. As though the man read my mind, he forcefully stabbed the long needle in my neck and I faded into oblivion.

I woke that day with so much fear I thought my heart was to explode into a million small pieces. I remember being tied up into a chair like the ones you would lay on at the dentist. There were people in lab coats holding clipboards.

"Where am I?" I remember saying, fear lacing through every word. I heard rumors that the EPI or Experimental Powers Industry was using people as experiments in order to make a human with un-natural abilities.

A very muscular man slapped me with much more power than my father ever could.

"Shut it you pathetic b*tch. Don't you know not to talk unless spoken to?" He snapped. From that day on the EPI poked me, tortured me, kept me in a cold damp room with no lighting for days, starved me, messed with my sanity, and completely changed the person I was mentally and physically.  All reality seemed to have been forgotten. I had lost track of time, but according to the whispers I heard in the hall, it had been 3 years in the confined cell.