Chapter 1

It was night time, and me and Livid have finally given up looking for any survivors, it was plain and simple. There was none not even a dragon in sight, all there was, was ash, and a few burnt beyond recognition bodies. I tightened my round black goggles and swung myself onto Livid's saddle, fighting back tears I gently squeezed his sides and he rocketed into the air, my black short, and choppy layered hair flying back under my helmet that had two of Livid's horns sticking out the back. that he had shed earlier on in the year after I had found him.

Something strange happened that day, as I walked up to his injured form I laid my hand on one of his gashes and the blood that should have been residue on my hand just absorbed into my skin, it still intrigues me to this day. I wore these goggles because my eyes had become that of a dragons, huge irised and brightly colored. A pair of violet and ice blue slitted spheres, in place of my old brown ones.

My mom told me not to worry, since I had just simply formed a bond that went deeper than any other of the riders. It was a rare thing she told me, and little were willing to do it, but I had done it on sheer accident. And now I had a skrill on my hands.

I felt a feeling of uneasiness spread throughout me from Livid as we approached a storm cloud. It confused me that he was acting like this, he never turned down riding through a storm. Urging him forward he slowed slightly.

"Come on, the faster we get through this storm the faster we'll be safe on Berk." I told him and he seemed to lighten up slightly. But that was short lived as the spikes of a wild Nadder's tail tore through the soft membrane of Livid's right wing. Now I know why he was so scared. He gave a cry of pain as we began to plummet diagonally towards Berk, which had become visible through the clouds, why there was a Nadder in a storm cloud, I will never know.

My heart was pounding as Livid descended rapidly, I made a daring move and grabbed his wing joint stretching across the wing and pulled it closed. Then pulled out the spikes quickly and leapt back into the saddle as we began to spin out of control. Happening to glance back there was about three Nadder's diving after us, all sickly looking. I swallowed out of fear. Now I know why they were acting so strangely, they had a disease of sorts.

I pulled on Livid's horns and made him close his wings making him swoop upwards quickly back into the storm, skrills were the second fastest dragon unless riding a storm, and Nadder's weren't exactly known for their speed. Feeling the electricity course through me, luckily I had a blood bond with him or I would have been fried already if I was normal still, I smirked as the sound of thunder sounded and we were slingshotted forward at supersonic speed. We lost the Nadder's but unfortunately we landed in a remote part of Berk's forest.

I inspected Livid's wing, he wouldn't be flying for a day or so, wing membranes healed quickly but left slight discolored patches on the membrane. And with the storm still ahead I was getting cold and my underclothes were getting wet from the pouring rain. Livid then curled himself around me and placed a wing around the both of us shielding me and part of him from the crying skies.

A few moments later I fell into a light sleep, thinking about how I was to make my way to Berk.