Chapter 15: Dating Dangers (Part One)

Start from the beginning

"My Dad wanted me to know how to defend myself, basically. And teaching me to shoot, it was our thing to do together."

"So, has your Dad ever actually shot anyone? Like, a goofy but loveable boyfriend?"

"Not off duty," I said. "Come on, we're wasting daylight." I hopped out of the car and Andrew followed after me. We had to rent guns to practice with, and Andrew and I got our protective gear set up. He looked adorable with his headphones and protective glasses on. I giggled and he shook his head at me.

"You know you're wearing the same stuff," he said. I nodded.

"But you just look so cute in the glasses Andrew," I said. "Very kissable."

"I like that," Andrew said, pecking me on the lips. The guy checking out safety equipment cleared his throat.

"Hey, would you take a picture of us together?" I asked him. "It's Andrew's first time here?"

"Your lady is teaching you how to be a man, eh?"

"You know, we don't need a picture that bad," Andrew said, pouting a bit.

"Calm down," the guy said. "Smile and look like you like each other, and I'll take a snapshot with that u-phone dealio."

"It's an IPhone," I said, handing it to him. "Just click right there, ok?"

Andrew hugged me around my shoulders from behind, and we both smiled for the picture. The guy glanced at the phone before handing it back.

"You make a lovely couple," He said. "I just hope you can teach that guy a few things."

"Thanks," I said, grabbing the phone. I looked down at the picture, noting how happy we both looked. It was one of those moments you know you'd remember twenty years from now, because it had meaning to us. Today wasn't just a day when Andrew and I went on another date; today was about Andrew helping me get over something really difficult that had happened. It was a step that I hadn't expected us to take so soon, me leaning on him.

I showed Andrew how to shoot, explaining the parts of the gun and how to aim. I decided to model for him, and I fired off three rounds. They all hit dead center on the target.

"Well, sure, anyone can hit the middle," Andrew joked. "I mean, it is right there."

"Really? It took me a year to hit the target. You care to make a wager?"

"Sure. Ok, if I can hit the target, you have to make me dinner."

"Hmmmm, ok," I said. "But I'll make it easier. If you can hit the paper at all, I'll make you dinner. And if you can't you have to give me a shoulder massage, and no funny ideas."

"What kind of ideas could I get from rubbing my Girlfriend?" He winked at me, and I somewhat regretted my bet. But I did love a good backrub, even if it put some ideas in my boyfriend's head.

"Just hit the target," I said. He got into a shooting position and inhaled slowly, focusing intently on the goal at hand. I tried not to giggle, even though he was so intense and it made me smile. Andrew went to fire off, and after two shots, both missed the target completely.

"Ahhh," Andrew said, rubbing his shoulder.

"I forgot to tell you," I said. 'There's a kickback when you fire..."

"Yeah there is," He said. 'It's ok, I am going to try again."

"You're sure," I said. "I'm not that great of a cook, you know?"

He squinted and this time when Andrew shot, he braced for the kickback. Surprisingly, he actually hit the bottom of the target paper. I let out a holler of surprise and excitement, and he grinned at me triumphantly.