Chapter One

Rays of light blasted into the great hall as Senea stood tall with her chin jutting out in front of the throne. She twisted her head one way, then the other. It was the end of winter celebration, the beginning of vernal. The frost flowers were woven in an intricate and gorgeous flower wreath that hung down from the ceiling. Vines of the flowers swooped down and then up; the arches would hang just above the heads of the guests, teasing them with their scent.

"I'm telling you, it is off center!" she cried from her spot, her fists resting against her waist.

Zephir grunted as he held the rope, glaring at Senea. "Your grace, does it really matter?" he said through gritted teeth.

She stepped forward, her fingers waving in the air and Zephir felt the rope slacken. He released his hands, leaving them there to catch the rope just in case. "Of course it matters. Lady Elika left me in charge of the decorations. Everything must be perfect!" She stood next to him then, her eyes shifting to where she could see from his vantage point. "I suppose it's center from here."

"The ceiling is off center."

Senea spun, her dress blossoming out like a flower awakening. She hopped in her spot and clapped her hands at Ylva. The Magi waved her fingers around, more flower blossoms sprouting from the cracks in the ground and lining the walkway up to the throne. "You did it!"

"Of course I did it. Creating flowers is children's magic." A crack of a gentle smile graced her lips as more flowers bloomed.

Zephir rolled his eyes and held the rope, tugging with all of his strength to tie it off. "I want to know how Magnar got out of helping!" Zephir cried out as Senea walked back towards the throne.

She turned, her braid moving with her head. "His father requested his help. Who am I to deny the Lord Commander?"

She moved back to the throne, focusing her thoughts as more frost flowers blossomed from the stone. "The Queen?" Zephir responded as he carefully walked over Ylva's creations. The flowers began curling up the benches as he passed. The fragrance of them filled the air of crisp snow with a touch of honey.

Senea whipped her head back to look at Zephir, eyes glinting like daggers before a kill. "Exactly. So don't question my reasons."

Ylva bit back a laugh. She had come out of her shell naturally, but still reserved herself around both Magnar and Zephir. He turned to look at her, hearing her snort. "Hush it you."

"Don't be angry with me!"

Senea snorted and plucked a flower off of her throne. She made her way towards Zephir, sliding the short stem into his tightly coiled hair. "You are going to fix yourself up and not look so disheveled?" Senea questioned, her voice filled with mocking.

Zephir reached out to her, grabbing her sides. She laughed and batted at his hands, leaping over the flowers that Ylva was beginning to create. The Magi rolled her eyes, flicking her hand at Zephir as he jumped over her. He soared closer to Senea, grappling onto her shoulders as he fell. Ylva's smile grew wider as Senea pointed a finger at her.

"He was in my way," Ylva said, her face returning to her normal flat stare.

Zephir began chasing her again, Senea leading him out of the great hall and along the back corridors. Maids dodged out of their way, turning their bodies so the dishes were well protected. She raced through the kitchen, Zephir hot on her heels. Cara and Mia turned to watch, their laughter filling the air.

She ran towards the main hall, her boots hitting the stone, the echoes bouncing off the walls causing their laughter to fill the entire room. Davry dodged out of Senea's way, calling out towards her. "Your grace, I must insist!"