The Letter

The neighborhood is quiet, the sun barely peeking above dense clouds. The houses stand in neat order- all a nearly identical shade of washed-out. The only house that stands out is the Walsh house; being several shades mossier than the neighbors. The house is surrounded by dense hedges of various hues, overgrown and encroaching on the neighbors fences.

Inside the mossy green house, Lonnie Walsh sits in his usual perch on the sofa, waiting. Beside him sleeps the family cat, Truffle. The large ball of brown fur purrs in content at his presence. He scratches her behind the ears, eyes locked on the fireplace. He'd known when he'd awoken that today would be the day. He waits for what feels like hours until a small noise stirs in the chimney, and a puff of ash and dust is kicked up. He practically leaps up, startling the daylights out of her feline companion, and snatches up the envelope. In emerald ink on the front is an address:

Mr. Lonnie Walsh

Argyle Street

Liverpool, England

He runs up stairs to his mother's bedroom, practically knocking the door down. Leoda Walsh wakes with a start. She looks around frantically, dull green eyes finally able to focus on her son's erratic movement.  She has no time to ask questions before he tosses her the envelope. The smile spreads across her face quickly. she turns the yellowed parcel over in her hands, opening it with almost surgeon-like precision. When she finally withdraws the letter, her son jumps onto the foot of her bed, like a giddy child at a slumber party. For his benefit, she reads aloud.

Dear Mr. Walsh.

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl no later than July 31. Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

She has to swallow the urge to tell him how proud she is, and instead hands him the list of supplies.

"Run to get dressed now, we'll catch the noon train" she coos fondly, memories of receiving her letter flooding back over her. She dresses in her usual attire- a dusty green dress, and wool coat. She slips on her shoes and waits by the door.

Lonnie pulls on a sweater- a thick mustard thing his grandmother had knitted him- and faded jeans. He pulls on his sneakers and hurries to meet his mother. The two head out into the June rain, shielded by a single umbrella.