The reaping

I wake up to the sound of a bang. 'Morning Kate'. it's my best friend Jordan. 'Good morning Jordan'. I live in Jordan's family's shed. I have no family. My parents were shot by peacekeepers and my little brother died from sickness. 'You know what day it is today.. Right?' He says quietly. And I do know. 'Yes it's reaping day' I say quietly. Jordan walks out of the shed quietly but before he closes the door he looks straight into my eyes and smiles then leaves closing the door behind me. I get out of bed and put on a light blue plaited dress. I found this dress in the dump the day my parents were shot. I have always kept this dress because I always thought it was a symbol. I also out on my mums flat shoes that go with the dress. I start walking towards the centre when I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and see Jordan walking next to me. 'Jordan! You scared me!' I say to him. 'Oh good cause that's what I was meant to do' he replies back. I'm so glad I have Jordan In my life. He has been my only friend. I still remember the day we met each other. It was at school. He saw some kids picking on me and told them to go away. And ever since that our friendship grew closer. 'Jordan, what if one of us is picked' I say. He replied with 'Kate don't ever think that we're going to be picked. There's like thousands of names in that ball'. As we enter the centre Jordan and I are separated. I sign in and go stand with all the other 17 year olds. I spot Jordan standing with the 18 year olds. We both make eye contact I say 'I'm scared' he just shakes his head. 'Welcome people of distirct 8. As everyone should know that today I have to select one brave young man and women to take in the role of repressing district 8 in the 74th hunger games' . That's district 8 escort. Her names Lydia. They show us a video that I have seen so many times. Once the video has finished, she walks over to the ball that has the the girl names in it. She picks out a random slip. 'Kate Lorrien' my heart skips a beat. Poor girl. But that name sound very familiar. I look up and see everyone looking at me. Then I notice that name is my name. I walk up onto the stage. 'And now for the boys' syas Lydia. Tears roll down my cheeks. 'Daniel...' 'I volunteer as tribute' the boy walks up on stage. I turn to shake hands with this boy I will be competing against and notice its Jordan. In district 8 we don't get to say any goodbyes so we are escorted to the train. I don't make any eye contact with Jordan but i notice he want my attention.