t w e n t y t w o

Start from the beginning

"Claire, Claire!" a news reporter shouts, followed by invasive questions. Harry is soon next to me, and he helps me by pushing the people in front of us, making a clear line into the hospital.

I feel so distraught as the sliding doors close and the only noise left is the footsteps, conversation and cries from people in the emergency room. I run to the reception and i try to talk to the receptionist who is on her phone but she puts a finger in the air to silence me. I lean over the counter and grab her phone, hurling it across the room. She looks up at me with wide eyes.

Harry puts his hand on my shoulder and tries to calm me down, but i ignore him.

"My brother. Louis Tomlinson. Where is he?" i say to the receptionist, anger and fear running through my body. She is about to scold me, i can tell, but she squints and realizes that i wont give up till i get the information i want. She looks down on the screen and types in his name.

"He's in surgery, and his current status is unknown," she explains calmly and then gets off her chair to pick up her phone. I take a deep breath and run my hands through my hair, trying my best not to fall apart. I am still at the counter when she comes back.

"All you can do is wait," she shrugs, and points to the waiting room. I decide not to argue and demand more information, i have caused enough havoc.

"Claire, c'mere" Harry says and pulls me lightly towards the waiting room. We sit down on one of the chairs, and we wait.

•

I gave up on sitting down and waiting like a normal person for about 5 minutes ago. Now i'm pacing back and forth by the surgery door, which i found on my own. I escaped harry when he went to the bathroom, and now i'm here.

My heartbeat hasn't slowed down since i got the call. I just want this to be over. For Louis to get out of surgery and for us to go home. But i doubt he even wants me there. I have been so horrible to him. I feel like my body has drowned in a pit of guilt. He was drunk driving. I can't help but think that he was drunk because of me and Harry. That us being together caused him to get drunk, drive and get in an accident. I don't even know much about the accident, or how bad he is injured. If he has broken a bone, or if he has gotten deep cuts, he could even... I can't complete the awful thought. I don't think i could without passing out on the floor.

A sudden swing of the door makes me jump slightly before i approach the doctor that just came out.

"Is he okay?" the doctor furrows his eyebrows.

"You shouldn't be here,"

"Is he okay?" i repeat, a clear tone of frustration echoing in the small hallway. He sighs before talking;

"He lost a lot of blood, as well as fractures in his leg and ribcage," he says in one breath, wiping his forehead with his palm.

"Doctor, just fucking tell me," i say with a low voice.

"We just wrapped surgery, and he was taken to the intensive care unit, and... we don't know if he's going to live," he finally tells me, and i find out that i was not expecting this answer at all. It hits me with such a force that i back up into the wall and slide down on the ground, my knees trembling.

There is a possibility that Louis could die within the next few hours. I bury my face between my knees, and release heavy, excruciating sobs into them. I don't know how long i sit there before i feel a rigid body sit down next to me.

"I heard," he says simply with a crack in his voice. That's not Harry. I look up at him and see his swollen, red eyes. Niall. He has been crying, like me. He tries to smile, but his lips twitches, exposing how sad he truly is. I have been reluctant to receive comfort all day, because it felt so unreal. But now i know that Louis might not even make it, i want to fall apart for a little while. I shift into laying on the ground, resting my head on his lap as we both cry. I feel him stroke my hair weakly, and some how makes me grab his hand that rests on the ground and hold it my hands, pulling it close to my chest. His shirt sleeve wipes the tears from my cheeks.

"Niall," i hear an angry voice just before i feel hands on my arm, lifting me up. Niall stands up and looks at Harry. I try to push Harry off me, but his hand stays firmly around my wrist.

"Stay away from her," he say lowly, pointing his finger right at his face. Niall backs up as i feel my whole body tense with fury.

"What the hell Harry!" i say, finally getting free from his grip. I'm so angry right now, i can't think clearly.

"My brother is in the fucking hospital, and all you care about is designating your assumed 'ownership' of me over Niall?" I push his chest repeatedly, releasing a few tears as he backs up, looking down at me with his intense eyes.

"Claire-" he tries to defend himself, but i interrupt before he has the chance to continue with his bullshit excuse.

"Get out, go home," i point my finger to the end of the hallway, staring him dead in the eye.

"Seriously, i don't wanna hear it, just get away from me," i say, my hand firm as stone. He looks at me for a few seconds before backing slowly away, turning his back and walking off. I immediately feel a little bad but it fades away and i'm distracted by thinking about Louis.

Me and Niall finally get back to the waiting room, waiting for the doctor to come and tell us if he's going to make it. We sit at a table and actually have a nice time, all things considered. We keep talking about Louis, his traits, our memories and i even laugh once. Niall always seems to make things better.

There are ups and downs of course, one minute i'm laughing and the next i'm crying again. But when my eyes dry up, i end up sitting on a chair, staring at the door of which the doctor will come in from.

A couple of hours pass and my heartbeat accelerates by a hundred when the doctor enters the room. He comes up to me, and i can't seem to read his face. He takes a deep breath and says:

"Louis is-"

A/N: oml this is so evil im sorry

Anyways did you like this chapter??:)

I try to update every thursday, but there may be sometimes when i don't make it by then.

2 MILLION READS OMGWTF. Thank you for your hilarious comments, generous votes and continued reads ilysm.

See you soon, byee <3