First Kiss

Takaya Abe glanced over at Ren Mihashi as he sipped his cup of water in the dugout. Ren was putting away his batting gear, placing his helmet back on the shelf with the others. He's so adorable, Takaya thinks as he watches Ren prepare to start pitching. I wish I could- No, Takaya, keep it professional. He probably doesn't think of you in that way.

When Takaya first met Ren, he was irritated by the pitcher's timid, nervous, personality; a result of the neglect he faced in his junior high baseball team. Sometimes he would wish he could shake some sense into Ren (or Mihashi, as he called him back then). Hell, he occasionally did grab Mihashi's shoulders and yell at him to speak up out of frustration. But now, after knowing each other for a couple of years, they had grown closer, becoming best friends with time, especially after learning to trust each other equally in their first year. Lately, however, Takaya had begun to feel differently for Ren. When he sees the pitcher, his heart begins to race and he blushes slightly. He began to glance at Ren more often, and tried harder to make him smile. Takaya still got annoyed at Ren's now slight stutter, but even that seemed more... bearable? Cute, even?

Shaking his head, Takaya tries to brush off his thoughts. If I want want to talk with him so badly, then I should just go! We're friends after all, Takaya thinks. Sighing, he gives in and walks up to Ren.

"Hey, Ren!" Takaya says cheerfully. Ren jumps up and turns around, making that once-annoying-but-now-slightly-endearing surprised face.

"T-t-takaya?" Ren manages. "H-hi!"

Damn it, I startled him. "Er, nice batting! You did great, helping the team get those runs!" Can't you think of anything else to talk about other than baseball? "How are you feeling?" Takaya asks.

Ren bobs his head in a nod, saying a quick thank you before replying, "I-i'm good! I'm just a bit nervous for the defense part of this inning now that we've tied the other team a-and how they've done so well in the beginning."

The game was currently in the top of the 4th inning, with the score tied at 5-5. Before Ren's at bat, the score had been 5-3 in the opposing teams favor. Ren had performed a sacrifice bunt, helping his teammates to score 2 runs. Now, the game nearly at the bottom of the 4th, the two teams were tied.

Ren looks up at Takaya, and his eyes soften at the sight of the other boy's face. "I want to win," Ren says. Takaya smiles softly. Even in their third year, Ren kept his resolve for wanting to win the games.

And through the years, Takaya kept his promise to help him do just that. They were close to winning the championship now, finally. "We'll win, Ren," he responded softly, "as long as we trust each other and do our best." Takaya holds up his hands, and Ren brings his hands up to touch them together.

They were cold at first, but then quickly warmed up as Takaya and Ren made eye contact. Takaya flushed slightly and turned away, stepping back. The umpire then called for the two teams to switch, and the Nishiura High baseball team began to run back to the field. Takaya turned back to Ren and achieved a weak, "Let's do our best," before turning again to exit the dugout.

"Takaya! Wait!" Ren suddenly called. He sprinted over to Takaya and grabbed his hand to turn him around just outside the box. "I-i have something I want to give you first, i-if it's alright, for uh always being there for me and caring for me. I've been wanting to give it to you for a while now, but I've been scared to."

Takaya had barely managed a wide-eyed look and a surprised, "For a while-" before Ren leaned forward and kissed him, soft and sweet. He closed his eyes and smiled against the pitcher's mouth.

Ren pulled back, blushing, after a moment and asked, "Was that okay? I'm sorry if you didn't w-"

Takaya grinned and answered, "It was perfect," before pulling him back for another kiss. After a minute, they broke it off, and smiled at each other.

"Okay, then," Takaya said, "Let's go play defense!"

*********

Author's Note

This is my first fan fiction I've written before, so let me known down in the comments what you think! Suggestions for future one-shots are welcome also! Please vote and comment if you liked the story!

^-^