XIII. Denial

*Aure's POV*

Obi-Wan's soft voice woke me up very early in the morning. "Aure, beautiful, we should get up." His hand was resting gently on top of my belly under my shirt, tracing small circles with his thumb. I sighed in content at this; his hand hadn't left that place since I told him the news before falling asleep.

I slowly got up to sit down on the uncomfortable bed of the cheap room of the inn; Obi-Wan sat down behind me and rested his hands on my shoulder, placing soft kisses on my neck. I wished I could have smiled at his gestures, but it seemed impossible for me, as I couldn't forget what had happened the previous day and I was sure that Obi-Wan hadn't forgotten either.

Obi-Wan's right hand lowered from my shoulder to rest again on my stomach. "Were you serious about this?" He still wasn't sure if the news of my pregnancy were a product of my fatigue, as I was drifting off when I told him.

I nodded. "I know we wanted to wait until the war was over and this is just another problem. I'm so-"

Before I could apologize, he interrupted, whispering against my ear. "Aure, our baby isn't a problem. This is the best news I've had in days." I could almost hear him smiling.

He turned me around and kissed me tenderly, showing all of his worry, his stress and his agony through the kiss, but also his happiness. He was actually happy about being a father. It was nice to know Obi-Wan could feel a small amount of happiness after everything that had happened. I knew he was sad, he had spent the night crying besides me, so the fact that I could make him smile made my own lips curve up a little once we stopped kissing. We faced each other and I saw how the spark of happiness in his eyes disappeared as he remembered everything that had happened and what he had to do. Killing Anakin would be something difficult to do for him. Obi-Wan's expression became very sad. The dark circles around his eyes were the prove that he hadn't slept a bit, he had cried and thought about Anakin instead.

"Are you really going to do it?" I asked concerned.

He nodded slowly and averted his eyes, avoiding my gaze. "I must do it." He said unconvinced, doubting that he would be able to do it.

Sensing his doubts and worries, I decided to hug him. I circled my arms around his neck and he hugged me back strongly. He leaned his head on my shoulders and cried. "I can't do this, I can't." He reapeated between sobs.

I caressed his back repeatedly and whispered sweet comforting words. When I noticed he had calmed down, I pulled away and saw his red eyes full of the tears, as well as some other tears rolling on his cheeks. I kissed away the tears on his skin and packed his lips. He held my hand tightly.

"Aure, once I do this, we'll leave to Alderaan, as you wanted. Senator Organa can protect us there. We'll raise our baby and be finally happy together, okay?" Obi-Wan promised with determination in his wet eyes.

I smiled softly at his words, although sadness didn't leave my heart. I could still feel fear and anguish, but Obi-Wan made me feel safer with that promise. He was sure that we would have a happy life together, even though so many horrible things had happened.

I let go of his hand and rested mine on top of my belly, looking down at my still flat body. "Do you want a boy or a girl?" I asked.

When I looked up to his face, he was frowning thinking of an answer. Eventually, he just shrugged. "I will love our baby, no matter what it is."

"What if it's a Wookie?" I teased with a smirk.

He raised an eyebrow and held back a laugh. "Then I would ask you what exactly did you do in Kashyyyk." We both laughed at this. It felt nice to share a few laughs in this sad part of our lives. "But honestly, I would like to have a girl." He finally admitted once the laughing stopped.