chapter 1

"kel, turn the music down!" ali groaned from the passenger seat.

meanwhile, i sat behind the wheel, music so loud i couldn't hear a thing, without a care in the world.

we were on our way to ocean city for a beach getaway. we were only staying for a week, and i was more than excited. just us, the beach, and gorgeous june weather. what could be better?

the drive went quickly, and it wasn't long until we were pulling into a musty smelling parking garage. i took my spot in 603 (the matching spot to our condo) and put it in park.

"alright ali, quit whining and help me get all the stuff." i grabbed two duffel bags and the bag of food. she grabbed some other things, and within two trips back and forth from the car to the room, we had everything out of the car.

#1 priority was to hit the beach as soon as possible, so i raced to my new room and rummaged through my suitcase for a swimsuit. ali was "too tired" and decided to just stay at the condo, so i grabbed my surfboard and headed down towards the beach.

the beaming sun hit my face, and the warm sand inched between my toes. this was where dreams were made. oh how much i wished that i could just move here and forget all my other responsibilities.

i ran straight for the ocean, board under my arm. there were tons of people, of all kinds and ages. and the waves were huge! i couldn't wait to get out on them.

what felt like minutes but turned out to be nearly two hours, i rode the waves no matter how reckless and large. i was having a blast, not even paying attention to my surroundings. one being the fact that i was practically the only one left in the water, or the life guards huddling about.

"hey you, newbie, go after her," a broad male lifeguard orders.

the tall brown-haired woman who had just become a lifeguard at ocean city beaches, muttered in annoyance but agreed, trudging off into the water.

"h-hey dude, look at that wave," another young male pipes up, referring to probably the largest wave ever seen at these beaches.

"oh shit-" the broad male from before sprints down the beach, shoving the woman out of the way and sprinting out to get me.

meanwhile, what they saw as a threat, i saw as a challenge. i wasn't afraid of this wave, even if i should've been. i was going for it. but before i could get up on my board i feel the man's arms wrap around me as he pulled the board out from under me.

"no way i'm letting you try and ride that one. you're gonna get yourself killed," he mumbles, racing out of the water before the huge wave hit.

"brody watch out!" another lifeguard shouts, as we turn around and see the well crashed wave heading straight for us. he lets go of me and we jump over it before heading back to the beach with all the other lifeguards.

"hey, careful next time," the woman says, looking at me with a look of concern across her face.

"uh yeah," i stutter, briefly thanking the brody guy and grabbing my board, preparing to head off.

i know i should be thinking about.. maybe the fact that i could've easily just died. but this girl... she was like a goddess sent from heaven, and she actually seemed to genuinely care about me. damn kelley, what was i getting myself into?