Chapter 8

The entire castle was abuzz with the news of the imposter. Many servants were suspiciously packing their bags and trying to leave the castle. The difficulty was that the servants who meant no harm did the same thing, worried that their families would be in danger. Nobody could tell the good guys from the bad, and it was driving the Amaris insane. 

As future queen, Amaris felt the weight of the court pressing against her shoulders. Chardonnay felt nothing at all- in fact she was as light as a feather. However Amaris had the slight suspicion that her sister was attempting to become pregnant. She probably thought it was a game- who can produce an heir first? 

Amaris, however, did not want to produce an heir. She hoped that she could be queen, and that Char's future child could rule further. The court, of course, did not approve of this idea. Something about "If you want to be queen, you must partake in extra deeds and such; responsibility, dignity, blah blah blah."

Weeks passed, and the idea of war was slowly vying for people's attention. Petitions had been taking place all throughout Aurum about 'protecting the children' and 'enforcing safety'. Chardonnay wasn't doing anything to solve the matter, so the duty was passed on to Amaris. She had sat at her desk for hours on end, trying to decide what to do. 

The court had become tired of waiting, and took matters into their own hands. The declaration of war had been posted outside of the castle gates, and the whole kingdom was abuzz with the news. If there was going to be war, then there had to be soldiers. Just about every man in each family was drafted, and the front lines weren't going to be pretty. 

"You're looking wretched, as usual." sang Chardonnay as she glided into Amaris's private parlor. 

"I do apologize, Your Majesty, but I am afraid you have mistaken me for a mirror. You might want to repeat that insult to the reflection in your vanity." 

Amaris's clever comeback didn't seem to phase Chardonnay. She simply smiled and shrugged, never ceasing to stand up perfectly straight. Her golden hair was especially bouncy today, her ladies-in-waiting must have spent hours perfecting it. Amaris, however, stayed at her desk, working on yet another of Chardonnay's responsibilities. 

"Was that the assignment the Duke gave me a few weeks ago?" Chardonnay prodded innocently, batting her perfect lashes. 

"Yes it is," Answered Amaris, becoming aggravated. "and he was rather unhappy to find that you haven't even looked it over. As future queen, I told him that I would be happy to take over for my rather overwhelmed sister, and that maybe he should consider appointing another--"

"YOU DID NOT!" Thundered Chardonnay, losing control over her illusion of perfection. She collected herself for a moment before fuming once more. A small smirk made it's way onto Char's mouth. 

"I told the duke something myself." Amaris looked up from her work, suddenly becoming nervous. Her sister put on the dumb act, but when it came to scheming, she was literally 'the queen'. 

"That little friend of yours, what was his name?" Chardonnay pretended to think. "Was it Justin? Jess? JEFF?" Amaris's hands became clammy and the color drained from her face. "Ah! Jeffery!" She giggled a bit before continuing: 

"You heard about the war, correct? Well they're drafting just about everyone, and I happened to recommend a... a certain someone." Chardonnay giggled once more, obviously very pleased with herself.

"He'll die out there." said Amaris, standing up. She wasn't nearly as tall as her older sister, which made it easier to be intimidated. 

"Why yes he will." Chardonnay did a little spin before heading out of the room, still laughing. Amaris wanted to cry. She wanted to cry harder then when Jeffery basically broke up with her. Luckily, a familiar face peeked in the door.

Amaris had her head in her hands, so she didn't notice when Lukas walked in. "What is wrong?" he asked, noticing how upset she was. Amaris forced a smile through her tears and fidgeted a bit, rambling about it being nothing.

Lukas sat in a chair that was facing hers. "Amaris." he said, not asking but not making a statement. "What is wrong?" he asked more firmly this time, his tone didn't even imply that it was a question. 

"The man from before," Amaris tried to explain. "My sister is sending him to war." she tried so hard to blink back her tears, not wanting to cry in front of Lukas. It was no use, for the tears flowed out of her eyes like a waterfall. The two of them sat in the silence, not knowing what to say. 

"I am sorry." Lukas finally said, trying to break the tension. Amaris shook her head, trying to say 'thank you' without using words. She stood, and Lukas followed. They left the parlor, Lukas following Amaris. 

Amaris's private parlor led to a balcony viewing the entry hall of the castle. Standing there, as Amaris new they would, was Jeffery and the beautiful girl. He caressed her check before passionately kissing her. It was nothing like the kiss the two of them shared. Lukas knew exactly what to do. 

"Amaris!" Lukas said in a rather loud voice, obviously trying to get the attention of Jeffery and the girl. Amaris giggled, wanting to play along. "Yes, LUKAS!" she yelled back. By now the two lovers in the entry hall were staring.

Lukas placed a hand in the small of Amaris's back and the other on her cheek. She placed her hand dramatically on his shoulder, making a show for Jeffery. As Lukas pulled Amaris in for a very passionate and steamy kiss, Amaris felt something. She kissed him back. It was magical, it was real. Very unlike the fake and extra showy play they intended to put on. The two of them pulled away, and looked at each other in a new light. It was shock written right across their faces. 

Lukas and Amaris walked down the grand staircase together, goofy grins across both of their faces. Jealousy crept it's way onto Jeffery's expression, but Amaris was too swooped up to notice. She could have cared less in the moment. 

"Amaris." Jeffery said in a firm, awkward-relative sort of way. "Jeffery." Amaris said, not looking at him, but instead looking deep into Lukas's eyes. Jeffery nodded curtly but stiff before leaving, pulling the girl along with him. 

Amaris didn't pay Jeffery any attention. Instead she smiled at Lukas. He pulled her into a second kiss, clearing her mind of any responsibility or duty. It was just the two of them, nobody else, no work or court to distract them. 

A/N

AHHHHH!!! 100 views!! It's not a lot but I'm very happy that we hit the milestone!!!! So back on track of the story... How do you like Lukas? I really like him but I want your guys's opinion on him. ALSO, I was thinking of changing Amaris's name. It's early enough in the popularity and growth of the story that I could hopefully do so without causing to much trouble. I was thinking of... Ahris. (pronounced Eh-ris. Like the beginning of Aaron, but instead of ron it's ris.) It sounds a bit more regal to me, and I'm becoming not-so-fond of 'Amaris.'

I was shy to write comments at first, but it's really not that bad. It gives the author insight. Please comment letting me know what you think of Ahris! See you in my next chapter! -Mazie

(P.S. don't forget to follow me so you can get notifications from me about the story! And if you don't want to follow me, that's fine too, just be sure to check out the 'Conversations' tab of my profile. Thanks!)