Chapter 1

It was about a year ago when I started seeing it. The Shadow, as I call it. It came to me in mirrors. No matter where I went, The Shadow followed me. It whispered into my ear things I couldn't understand. I tried to block out the sound it made but nothing worked. The words came suddenly, without warning, and each felt like a death threat. The words, The Shadow, took over my life.

It all started that one evening. The day felt pretty normal. I had gotten myself up and grabbed myself some breakfast before school. I walked to and from school as normal. Every class was the same and nothing seemed out of place, but once I got home, something wasn't quite right.
The door was unlocked and it all seemed rather dream like but I knew it couldn't be one. Also, my parents, they didn't seem right. There eyes looked like they were fuelled with darkness. I walked in the house and the atmosphere was hung with sadness.
"Mum? Dad?" I said to my darkened parents. "Are you ok?"
"It's here," my mother said, not directing her words at anyone. Her hazy eyes locked with mine, "it's here. Again."
He eyes bared deep inside of me. I could see none of my mothers love and tenderness in those deep eyes.
"W-what's here?" I asked feeling confused.
She grasped my shoulders quickly and dug into them. "The darkness," she hissed. "The darkness that consumes the heart and soul of me," my mother continued.
My father turned and faced the giant mirror that hung on our living room wall. His eyes widened and his mouth gaped open. His hand was slowly moving up, pointing to something in the mirror. From the angle, in which I was at, I didn't have any view of the mirror. I shook my mother off me and ran to my father.
Then I saw it.
The 'darkness'
The Shadow
A figure stood in our door way, hair hung loose and in need of a brush and its clothes slouched off it like they were barely on its skin.
I screamed.
Then my mother screamed.
Then my father.
In the mirror, The Shadow took a step forward. I could now see the full extent of its features. I could see that its eye sockets held no eyes and a mouth that held a thousand knife like teeth. The amount of blades seemed to make up for the lack of eyes.
It screamed in unison with my terrified family. An ear piercing scream that, I swear, could shatter glass.
I clutched my ears and started crying, shutting my eyes tightly, only opening them to see my parents fall to the ground, hands clutched to their heads, just as I was.
The Shadow stopped screaming.
I looked in to the mirror to discover it had gone. I hoped and prayed that would be the last time it came.
My parents were a mess. The were both holding each other now, rocking and crying in the floor. Tears seeped from my own eyes and I knew from that day, that my life would never be the same.