Chapter Eleven - Not Quite Eloquent

Start from the beginning

Still, the part of me that said Dawn loved me -- he was right.  Dawn loved me, and I couldn't help but blush a little.  Normally, I didn't blush, and had never really, unless I was with Rachael. 

"Artemis, are you okay?" my mother asked.  "You're turning a little green."

"He was probably outside for too long," offered Rachael. 

Something like that, I thought.  Though, scientifically speaking, that couldn't really do much to me, because it wasn't that cold or anything. 

"Yeah, I'll go clean up," I said before anyone could offer to help me with anything. 

I ran upstairs to my room, and shut the door. 

"Dawn?" I called in a whisper.  Not a moment later, did the glowing girl show up.  She looked even more innocent than I remembered.  When we were outside earlier, I had tried my best not to look at her so I wouldn't get distracted.  "Dawn, I'm sorry that Rachael interrupted us."

She shrugged.  Her glow was a little less bright than I remembered, too.  In fact, she did look slightly different.  There was almost a skin color to her, and her hair looked more auburn......

"I like you, Dawn," I said.  Slowly, Dawn turned her head towards me, her big eyes widening even bigger though I knew she knew how I felt.  I didn't feel that what I said was enough, so I tried again.  "Dawn, I think I like you."

StupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidArtemis.  Don'tyouknowhowtotalktoagirlproperly?

"Dawn, I'm trying to say that I think I'm in like with you."  As soon as the words left my lips, I slapped my forehead with my palm. 

StupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidArtemis StupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidArtemis StupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidArtemis StupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidArtemis StupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidArtemis StupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidArtemis. 

How was that literally any better than my first two attempts?  How could I be entirely sure that I meant it?  Kyler was right, we were Kindred Souls. 

I think I knew what being Kindred Souls was like now.  I wasn't a spirit, but I learned a lot from their kind.  You don't have to like the person.  You just have to know. 

And I think I did. 

I walked over to my bed and slammed my body onto it.  "I'm sorry that was so stupid, Dawn.  You probably expected more from a guy like me, you know, someone who's smart and everything--"

Dawn put a finger to her lips.  Then unexpectedly, she beckoned me with her finger.  I got up quickly, standing tall in front of her.  I never noticed before, because I was too busy worrying about other things, but Dawn and Rachael didn't look as alike as I thought.  From what I could tell, Dawn's hair was thicker than Rachael's, and her lips were fuller.  Rachael's eyes were full of fun and happiness, but Dawn's eyes were full of wisdom and curiosity. 

Well, duh, she was wise.  She was alive for hundreds and hundreds of years, I think. 

"I know, I'm the most eloquent human being that has ever lived.  You don't have to tell me twice Dawn," I said jokingly. 

She reached out her hands, and placed two fingers on either side of my head on my temples.  Instantly, just like that, I could feel our minds reaching out to each other.  Again, it didn't feel scientifically possible, because it wasn't. 

But I wasn't thinking about that.  I was actually starting to understand Dawn, how she was trampled to death by horses, about her first experiences as an In-between.  I understood that she really couldn't talk, or feel many emotions. 

Obviously, that last part wasn't true; I was feeling every kind of emotion from her.  Curiosity, when we first met.  Annoyance, when we wouldn't get along.  Happiness, when the kids surprised me for my birthday.  Anger and...jealousy, when Rachael kissed me. 

All of Dawn's emotions, all of them were happening at the same time.  This was more than a regular connection you felt with a friend or lover or anyone like that.  This went deeper. 

I didn't even know how I knew the term, but this was the Kindred Soul Connection. 

I was feeling all different kinds of emotions too.  I could feel Dawn reaching out for them, like trying to open a locked door.  I unlocked it for her, and we both saw and felt exactly how I had when I had experience these emotions. 

Dawn brought her hands back down to her side.  We both stood there, looking at each other, wondering what the crap happened. 

"How did you...?"

She just shrugged.  Then she smiled and left.  I had a feeling I'd see her bright and early tomorrow. 

None of this was scientifically possible, and you know what?  I didn't care.  I plopped back onto my bed.  I didn't think of Rachael, I didn't think of my family probably still waiting for me downstairs.  I just thought of Dawn, and that was it.