I

LOUIS

i kinda like it when i make you cry

his phone is buzzing consistently in his back pocket as he walks past the bodies of his peers. he knows he has to answer sooner or later but he decides the phone call can wait, there's a more important matter at hand. he pushes past more bodies crowded around the leveled fountain and sighs. he doesn't understand why his best friend, god knows how many years now, decided to take on boxing as an extra curricular activity. as he joins the crowd and surges forward for a front row view to this match that his friend is participating in, he watches as fists fly forward then backward as he fixes the blue beanie hiding his unkempt hair. he'll have to wash it tonight for sure.

he sees security round the corner and head towards the crowd. they all disperse when he warns them, people maneuvering around tall thin palm trees and tripping over the red brick ground trying not to get caught squeaking over the recent played match. it wasn't an official match, mind, but a fight is a fight and all fairs game. he was asked to join when he started school here but he never found the fun in beating someone up. it was all so unappealing to him- why would he risk getting a bloody nose or a black eye when he can just avoid it altogether?- the dodging fists and throwing punches just sound like a bore.

"care to explain why you were late?" what a friend he has. see, he and zayn have been friends for a while now; maybe six years close to seven. so he doesn't really mind that he talks to him like a condescending mother. it's hard to get mad when those bright brown eyes are looking back at him- was the first thing that captivated him to zayn when they first met all those years ago- the hope in his eyes gave him hope. he's still holding onto that hope.

"i saw the fight, yeah? clearly beat the shit out of that bastard."

zayn's smile falters, "it wasn't a match," he's looking at his friend with a confused expression, "he called my girl a whore, lou" and oh.

"i hope you broke that fucker's nose," and there's the laugh that he's been waiting for.

when they start walking across the red brick ground lined with short stalky palm trees toward the historic fraternity building, louis gets an overwhelming feeling as he reaches for his phone that continues to vibrate.

"el, i told you i had things to do after class," he sighs as he puts his empty hand against his hip and waits for her reply. zayn standing next to him, kicking absentmindedly at the ground.

there's shuffling on the other line and a groan from his lovely girlfriend, "it's getting late, lou, you said we were going out tonight," and there it is. the stomping of her feet clad in high hells and the high pitch of her whining that he's just so tired of. he's getting a headache just from listening to her.

he rubs his fingers against his eyes to release the pressure coming from behind his eyeballs and sighs for the umpteenth time, "yes, i did say that. i'll be home later, okay?" he's always been a good liar. his voice never wavered and he never broke eye contact but lying over the phone was a breeze when it came to eleanor. she was just so gullible.

he hears more shuffling and an exasperated sigh from the other line, "promise?" and no, he will not promise to be home later because who does el think she is just assuming.

"promise," his voice smooth, no trace of hesitation or pitch fluctuation and of course she believes him.

he presses the end call button before she can even reply. zayn takes notice, always so attentive that one. he tightens his grip on the straps on his shoulders and looks to louis. "need an excuse to stay out, lou?" he asks with a smirk as he puts his arm around louis' shoulders, always so comforting. louis looks to him, dark lashes curling upward towards his brow and eyes squinting against the setting sun. he's never been jealous of his friend's looks but damn he can admire can't he?