To Dream of Freedom

I was staring at the sky, already filled with stars. ‘If only the world could remain this peaceful forever.’ I thought.

After barely two hours on the water, darkness had forced us back to port. As I lay there I heard James call “Ariana, we need help docking the ship!”

“I’m coming!” I shouted back down from my perch, high in the shrouds of the foremast.

It was my favorite spot, up here. All the messed up aspects of my life felt so far away.

I always liked to think that life was an ocean, and I was a ship sailing across it with something better waiting just over the horizon.

With one last swing my feet thudded onto the deck, and I helped pull in sail, weigh anchor, and finally moor the boat.

“David, what did you do to anger those goons back there?” Calvin asked as they pulled the mooring line tight. We all leaned in; insanely curious as to what he’d done that waranted our hasty escape. (Thankfully, they had apparently given up on us because they hadn’t been on the docks when we returned.)

“That, my comrades is confidential!” He said, in a pompous imitation of his uncle. We all snorted. That only meant he was waiting for a dramatic moment to reveal it.

We said goodbye to each other and parted ways at the docks, but I had to do something before I left.

“James, could I talk to you for a second?” I asked. I knew I would have to do this sooner or later.

“Sure, what’s up Ariana?” He said walking over to me, trying to force a smile through his concern. I took a deep breath. Weelll, it was really a quick swallow thing, but you know what I mean.

“James, I don’t think I’ll be able to do this anymore.” I said in a hurry. I had just recalled the tiny little fact of what my mother had promised, apon my last escape. She had sworn (though she did that quite often) that if I ran of to that mongrel’s (Calvin) place again I would be punished ‘severely’. ‘Severely’.

I had no idea what my mother had in store and didn’t want to find out. James was quiet while I explained and only responded when I finished and after a long bought of pacing.

“Any idea what the Fury has in store?” He asked. The boys had taken to my mother’s nickname with gusto.

“Zilch.” I replied, a sinking feeling in my chest. If he couldn’t help me I didn’t want to force him.

“You don’t have to help me, I-”

“Then why did you ask me?” He interupted, resuming his pacing. “I intend to help you, don’t worry, but why ask if you thought I couldn’t help?” That left me blanking. Why had I asked him instead of Calvin? The answer was out of my mouth before I could stop it.

“Because you’re captain.” I blurted. I mentally slapped myself. He stopped pacing and turned to face me, a smile tugging at his lips.

“Out of the world of divine reasoning, I would never have guessed that. Imagine if your mother knew I had earned the respect of the untamable Ariana!” He proclaimed dramatically.

Ok, I had to laugh at that.

He put a hand on my shoulder, still smiling. “Go home. I have faith in your skill, you were taught by the best. If you can’t escape again, which I doubt, we’ll never forget you. If you can, then I have a plan.” He paused and let out a sigh.

“I’m not sure how to say it but I don’t think there’s much left for us here.”

I blinked stupidly. “What do you mean?”

I mean, I don’t think our lives here are getting any better or ever will. Thomas and I are barely making enough money to pay taxes, your trapped in a life you don’t want, Calvin won’t be anywhere without you, David’s uncle is going to disinherit him, and Peter doesn’t even have a family.” He rolled off, pacing with renewed energy.  

“But James, it’s not like we can do anything about it!” I complained. “It would be wonderful if we could but . . .” I trailed off, unable to finish.

“But what Ariana?” He snapped. “Listen, I have a plan. You are to go home and pack your things. The first chance you get, run for it and meet us at Calvin’s house, and be sure to shake off any pursuers. It’s best if you pack boys clothes only, I think we’ll need it. I’ll inform the others. Do I make myself clear?” For once he looked intimidating in the lantern light, like I had to follow his orders.

“And what if I can’t escape?” I asked timidly.

“We’ll wait for two days at Calvin’s place. If you haven’t made it by then we come and help you escape. Now go home.”

I ran all the way h- no, that place wasn’t my home, it was a prison, not a home.

I’m leaving. I’m leaving. Became a kind of chant in my head as I ran. I looked up at the sky, hoping in vain to see the stars.

‘Another reason to hate this city.’ I thought ‘Is that you can never see the stars.’

It was true, the smoke from a million chimneys clogged the sky, blocking the beautiful stars above.

I hoped that where ever we were going, you could see the stars.