Carol of the Bells

Start from the beginning

The walk to the towns square isn’t very long, since we live in a really small town. It’s close knit, with everybody knowing everyone else’s business. But we love it here. When we get to the gazebo, only my best friend, Dacey, is there. “Okay, good. We’re early.” Mom says, checking her watch yet again. “Why don’t you girls go get us something warm to drink?”

Dacey and I nod before running over to our favorite coffee shop. “So, are you excited to finally get to carol this year?” She asks.

I nod enthusiastically, “I’ve never been so excited!” I exclaim.

She laughs, “You don’t say.”

I grin and nudge her for teasing me. I can’t help it that I feel like a child on Christmas morning right now. Up at the counter, we order about fifteen hot chocolates, and I add two with peppermint. Dacey gives me a weird look. “What?” I ask, feeling nervous under her gaze.

“Who’s the second peppermint for?” She asks, knowing that one of them is undoubtedly for me.

“Parker Thomas.” I mumble under my breath.

“Are you kidding me right now, Cari?” She asks, putting a hand on her hip. I raise my shoulders with what I hope is an innocent look on my face, “What’s wrong with that?”

“What’s wrong with that is you’ve been in love with the guy since you were seven and he still hasn’t noticed you! How the hell do you even know he likes peppermint?” She says, huffing at the end.

“I just do, okay?” I say defensively and carefully take the drink holders the server put in front of us at the counter.

“When are you going to get over this obsession with him?” Dacey asks in a softer voice as she grabs the other two.

“It is not an obsession. I just think he’s nice. That’s all.” I say, severely downplaying my feelings for Parker.

We get over to the gazebo, which is now filled with our group, and start handing out the drinks. “Dace, go give this to Parker, please.” I beg quietly, trying to hand her the cup.

“Nope, you ordered it. You can give it to him.” She says, stepping back slightly.

My eyes widen, “Dacey!”

She just grins evilly and walks away, leaving me to publicly humiliate myself. Sucking it up and using what very little courage I have, I move over to where Parker is standing with some of the other guys in the group. “Uh, here’s your hot chocolate, Parker.” I say quickly, blushing as I thrust the cup towards him. Luckily there’s a lid on it, so it doesn’t spill.

He smiles and takes it, “Thanks Cari.” I feel myself blushing harder at the use of my nickname. He takes a small sip of it and I watch as his eyes widen, “There’s peppermint in it.” He says, sounding surprised.

I bite my lip, “Is that bad?” I ask, wondering if he didn’t actually like it that way.

“No! It’s perfect. But how did you know?” He asks, taking another sip of it.

“Oh, uh… I was behind you in line at the Coffee House the other day and I take mine the same way, so it was easy to remember.” I say, not mentioning that I was at least six people behind him and that once in seventh grade, we were paired to do a questionnaire with each other and he said his favorite drink was peppermint hot chocolate. I don’t think he needs to know that I remember every answer he gave me for that list though.

“That’s really cool.” He says with a grin, “Thanks for remembering. My night just got even better.” I go to turn away and almost have a heart attack when he gives me a small wink. Instead of freaking out, I move through the crowd to Dacey, who’s got the smile of a proud mother on her face.