Chapter eighteen

Chapter eighteen: three cannons

"Where the hell are the supplies?" Anger fills Cato's voice and I can tell the three boy's a goner.

"I don't know! They were there and now there gone!"

"I asked you to keep guard and you did this?!"

"Cato!" It's me who speaks this time. "Whoever it was, we'll see their face in the sky." I point up because he's probably so mad that he hasn't heard me.

I'm too late, Cato grabs the boys head and shoulders as he tries to scramble away and with one, clean motion, breaks the boys neck.

"Where the f-" I remember the five year olds again and change my wording, "heck is Marvel?"

"I don't know..."

*

"I still can't believe Marvel ran off like that..." I say.

"I know..."

"Told you he was a git."

"I know, I should have listened to you."

A cannon sounds in the distance.

"What the hell?" I ask.

"Sounds like someone died."

"I bet it was Marvel."

"It could be anyone." Cato has a point, it could be the ginger one from five, Rue, the tall one from eleven, Katniss or Lover Boy.

"Fine, I bet you an apple that Marvel's face will be in the sky tonight." I shouldn't have done that.

He shakes my had like I saw two betters do back at district two.

"One apple." He agrees.

Another cannon sounds.

"Who d'ya think that was?" God Cato, I can't see into minds of the other tributes to see who dies!

"The girl from five." I guess.

"One apple?"

"No." My answer is flatter than I hoped.

"Okay then, one apple on dead Marvel." We both laugh at his ridiculous comment.

"Well, that works for me, I've got way too many." I'm just kidding though, I have four.

"What?! I have two!"

"Well, I have a one in five chance, may the odds be ever in your favour." And of course, I'm quoting Rina.

We find an ideal hill to camp on top of and set down sleeping bags.

Night has finally crept in and we're sitting in 'bed' staring at the stars with an apples in our hands. The anthem blares out so I cross my fingers and mutter under my breath;

"Please be Marvel."

And then a giant picture of his ugly face appears in the sky!

"One apple please!" He completely ignores me and says:

"One sec, I want to see who died."

We wait and then see if all people, the eleven girl, Rue.

"What?! I didn't think she was going to die!" For god's sake, I need to think before I speak, of course she was going to die, she was twelve.

"It had to happen at some point and it was probably Marvel who did it." He has a point, none of the others would (but the five girl might).

"I guess you'll find out if win."

"But Clove, I can't just let you die."

"What if you have to?"

"Then I swear I won't ever let myself forget you."

I'm completely lost for words.

"Clove, you mean so much to me, I'd never get over it."

And at that exact moment, the world turns black and I feel my head hit the ground.