Chapter 2 : Making a friend?

Chapter 2

Later...

Riker POV

I'd been sitting in my doorway for a while now, watching for Jackie. She never told me where the bathroom was. And I kind of have to go pretty bad now.

I stood up, and started walking down the hall, looking for the bathroom or Jackie. There were a set of double doors every time there was a new hallway. I went through, and I was hoping I'd remember where my room was...

I walked down the hall, and I saw the lounge. I looked in there, and Jackie wasn't there. I kept walking down the hallway, but I didn't see her.

I walked down a few more hallways until I came back to my room. Apparently it was like one big loop. And I hadn't found Jackie. So this is a problem!

I walked down the hallway again until I came to the lounge. I slipped inside, and looked around for someone who looked nice.

I spotted a boy sitting alone in a corner, reading. He looked about my age, and he had brown hair. I slowly walked up to him.

"Um... E-excuse me?" I asked, quietly.

He looked up from his book.

"U-um... I-I'm R-Riker. I-I'm new h-here. I-I was w-wondering if you c-could show m-me w-where the b-bathroom is."

He nodded, and stood up, giving me a small smile.

I followed him into the hallway with all the bedrooms. We came to a different colored door.

"That's the bathroom."

"Thanks."

I slipped inside, and quickly did my business. After I washed my hands, I went back out, and the boy was still there.

"So you said you're new?" He asked.

"Y-yeah."

"Your name is Riker, right?"

I nodded.

"Cool name. Mine is Ellington."

I nodded.

"I don't have many friends here. Maybe you want to play a game with me or something?" He asked.

"Um... Sure..."

I followed him back to the lounge. We sat down on the floor in one of the back corners.

"Do you know how to play card games?" Ellington asked.

"Yeah."

"Ok. Pick a game."

"Go Fish?"

"Sure."

Later...

Riker POV

I lost every round we'd played. I wasn't really trying though. My mind was on other things, aka, being here.

"Alright. So it's almost time for dinner. Do you want to sit with me?" Ellington asked.

"Can I?"

"Yeah."

Ellington led me to the cafeteria. I was trying to make a mental map of this place in my head.

We went inside, and each picked up a tray. We stood in line, and got food put on our trays. I followed Ellington to a table in the back, and we sat down across from each other.

I looked at my food. We were having chicken, carrots, and some rice. We also got a bottle of water. I immediately drank about half of my bottle of water. I'd barely drank anything all day. I'd barely eaten too, but my appetite was gone. I hadn't really eaten anything since the accident...

"Aren't you going to eat?" Ellington asked.

"I'm not really that hungry..."

I didn't end up eating any of my dinner. Ellington ate some of mine, and then we brought our trays up to this one window to be washed. Ellington led me back to the hallway with the bedrooms.

"So which one is your room?" Ellington asked.

I spotted mine. The rooms were all numbered, and my number was 22. I put my water bottle down on one of the shelves.

"Well that's cool because my room is literally right next door."

I followed him out, and his doorway was the one right next to mine. We were literally 6 inches from each other.

"Alright, so it's about 7:00 now. I usually shower about now," Ellington said.

"Ok."

"Do you want to shower too, and I'll show you where it is and stuff?" Ellington asked.

"Sure..."

"Ok. Grab your clothes."

I pulled out a pair of pajamas from my suitcase. Ellington led me to the bathroom again, and we went inside. The bathroom was in different sections. There was one section where it was all toilets, one section where there were sinks, and one section where there were shower stalls.

"Alright. I'll shower here. You can shower in the stall next to me. There's shampoo and soap in there."

"What about towels?"

"Right..."

Ellington walked over to some shelves on the opposite wall, and grabbed 2 towels. He threw one to me.

I went into the stall, and shut the shower curtain. I put my clothes on a shelf in there, and then turned on the water. I got undressed, and then stepped into the water. It still stung my cuts from a few days ago. All I could think about was the accident...

I washed my hair and body, and then turned off the water. I quickly dried myself, and then got dressed. I left the stall, and then sat on a bench near the towels. Some of the other boys had put their stuff over here, like their bags and clothes.

I waited patiently until Ellington came out, which was only about 5 or 10 minutes. We walked back to our bedrooms together.

"Ellington?" I asked, quietly, walking into his doorway.

"Yeah?"

"I think I'm going to go to bed."

"It's not bedtime yet."

"I know... But I'm exhausted."

"Ok."

"Goodnight."

"Night."

I used the bathroom again before I went to bed. I got under my blanket. It was pretty dark in here... My door was closed, and the light was off. All I could see was the glow of the hall lights from under my door.

I felt scared. I hated the dark. And I hated being in an unfamiliar place. I hated being away from my parents. I hated this whole situation.

Whether I was scared or not, I was exhausted. And I soon fell asleep anyways.