Chapter 25

HERE IT IS GUYS! Last full chapter of Shredded Moonlight! Well if you dont count the Epilogue - which I don't! Anyway as you guys are finishing it up it would mean a lot if you guys left me some last impressions or feedback in the comments below :D ENJOY!

***********

  “What…” Nox started but again he too, had to stop himself. The camp was literally empty; no children running around, no hunters bringing in food. No one.

            “Nox, what’s going on?” I gripped his hand uncertainly as we continued to stare, both of us frozen in place. Neither of us took a step forward or suggested to investigate. It was as if this was a graveyard that wasn’t meant to be disturbed.

            “I don’t know. Why would they…?” He seemed to be struggling with something, scanning the huts with an almost angry like fervor. I knew when he realized something; he rocked back on his heels, a stone-like expression coming over his face.

            “What? What is it?”

            “The spears. They’re gone.”

            My face paled. “They didn’t… They didn’t go to fight did they?”

            “I don’t know.”

            “There you two are!” The voice that rang across the empty camp made both of us jump in surprise and twist, unsheathing our claws but it was only Ivy, sprinting towards us from the entrance, “I’ve been looking for you two everywhere!”

            Nox moved to grip Ivy’s shoulders in a tight grip. “Ivy. Where’s the Tribe?”

            Her bright green eyes gleamed with tears. “They’ve gone to meet Sun Tribe at the border. One of our scouts saw them preparing to attack. Kamara didn’t want them in the camp so she moved the fight closer to them. Nox, I tried to stop them but no one would listen-” she let out a small sob and Nox pulled her into a hug, but his expression had become haunted.

            “We have to go.” I broke the silence after a moment, my face becoming determined.

            “We’re going nowhere,” He murmured over his sister’s head. “But back the direction we came.”

            “What?! Nox, you can’t be serious.” Even Ivy pulled away, staring at him in blatant disbelief.

            “I’ve never been more serious.”

            “They could die! Your Tribe, your family, could die and you don’t want to stop it?”

            His jaw clenched and he looked away. “I’m aware of the stakes but they’ve made their decision. I’ll not have you killed in some battle you were never a part of. I won’t risk it.”

            “Brother…” Ivy shook her head, staring at him with wide eyes.

            “Don’t. Just…” With a frustrated growl he ran a hand through his hair and shook his head. “Don’t. Shadow, we’re leaving. Come on.” The grip on my arm was stern and protective but I yanked myself away and planted my feet firmly on the ground. “Shadow.”

            “I’m not leaving, Nox! Don’t you see? This isn’t right. Look I know you’re worried about me getting hurt but that’s not the issue here. The two Tribes are going to destroy each other over some stupid thing that happened years ago and where are all the Nekos going to be when it’s over? Dead. If what Esi saw was right then I’m supposed to stop this once and for all.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw Ivy nodding vigorously.