'Emma Bloom'

"Listen to me. I'm going to let you go, but I ain't taking the blame." Julia said.

I nodded gratefully as she untied the asbestos sheets. "I cannot thank you enough, Julia. Name anything you want. It'll be my payment for your kindness."

"Sister. I do not ask for you to give me anything. All I want you to do is to finally escape. Father won't be happy, but it's his own fault."

"I insist, Julia."

"No. I'd feel guilty if you ever give me anything. We are sisters, and we are family. Payment means nothing." Julia said.

"I owe you my life for this," I said, and I stood up with wobbly feet.

"Don't you ever forget about me," Julia said. I hugged her tightly and climbed out the window.

~:~:~

I felt giddy to be finally free and scared at the same time.

I was only a mere twelve year old, and my only defense was my fire.

What would a girl with fire at her fingertips do? Where would she go?

Then I saw a sign nailed on a nearby tree.

Freak Show, it said.

It was probably the only way I wouldn't get caught out, so I searched for the tents.

When I reached the tent, the performers were already asleep. I entered one tent and there was a ridiculous looking man with extremely long hair like the prissy princess trapped up a tower.

"Ey! Get out!" he screeched.

"No, I will not get out. I want to join you all." I said.

"No not-freaks allowed!" he spat.

"Can a not-freak do this?" I said, pointing my finger up and igniting it. Then I put it in my mouth and smoke went out from my nose and ears.

"Are ye sure yer a freak?" the man asked.

I made fire with my hands, swallowed it, and blew it out like a dragon. The man was clearly impressed.

"PETE!! WE GOTS A FREAK!!" the man called behind him.

"What do ye mean, we gots a freak?!" A fat man in a stupid looking ringmaster coat said.

"Show 'im what ye can do," said the Rapunzel man.

I repeated my swallowing act.

"Fine. Yer in."

"Where do I sleep? And where do I eat?"

"Ye'll come with us. Foods' on us, doll." Fat ringmaster- er, Pete- said.

"Thank you so much, you don't know how much this means to me," I said gratefully, though I hated the fact I was going to be called a freak.

"Lemme show ye yer tent."

~:~:~

My legs shook as Pete and his burly 'performancer' (he called it) pushed me towards the stage.