I closed my blue eyes briefly and bared my long canines in irritation. I was a werewolf, for crying out loud! I should not be dwelling on weak emotions such as fear. I knew it was my Wolf that was guiding these latter, braver, thoughts but I didn't think she had convinced herself, either. I sighed and then turned my head, ears swiveling as a large brown wolf ran up to my side.

It was Will, a pack member about my age and one of my best friends. I had a crush on him when I was younger due to his innocent charming looks, but I had grown out of that phase and just considered him a friend, and a good one at that. I spent a lot of time with him and with Maria. They had never been cruel to any of the other wolves and had never thought it strange that I hadn't inherited my dad's Affinity. I could never appreciate them enough.

Will had his mouth open and his tongue hanging out in a wolf smile, and I returned the gesture.

'Nervous'? He asked me. I wrinkled my snout.

'That obvious?'

If he was in his human form, he would have shrugged, and I could almost sense the action. 'This is only my second Meeting. I was nervous my first time, too. Still am, actually.' My Wolf noticed that his Wolf grew slightly embarrassed at that admission. I made a huffing noise, amused, before quickly growing serious again.

'Is there anything in particular I should know? Any advice?'

Will's blue eyes narrowed thoughtfully for a moment and the only sounds were our beating hearts and the thudding of paws.

'Be careful about eye contact. Be careful what you say. We're werewolves, and we're prideful, and it's in our nature to hold our own.' I could sense my Wolf's agreement and pride before he continued. 'But whether we want to admit it, they're more powerful than us. Their Alpha...' He trailed off, and I sensed a series of dark emotions flitting through him, as my Wolf detected the fury of his.

'Yes?' I prompted, shuddering at the thought of the dark looming figure. Truthfully, I had no idea what he looked like, but I'd heard he was huge and frightening. Pretty much fit his actions.

Will's fear was palpable. 'I don't think he has a soul. When we made eye contact...there was so much rage. Hatred. It was terrifying. He snarled at me and I wanted to turn and run, werewolf or not.' Surprisingly, his Wolf was silent, and I was surprised that he would shoot down his own pride like that. The thought made tingles shoot up my spine and it was not a pleasant sensation.

'You'll be able to understand why their pack is so dark when you see them, especially him. Just...just don't look at him. I don't know how Alpha Brett does it.'

I nodded my head, accepting this. I wasn't plan on ogling the other clan. I wanted to observe what was going on, but I knew it would be safer to stay out of it.

Will was continuing, and I snapped back to attention to catch his words. 'They say he doesn't have a Mate. Not that he hasn't found one, that he doesn't have one at all. It would make sense why his soul is so fractured.'

Once again I shuddered. Sure, I wasn't ready for a Mate, but knowing there wasn't anyone out there was something different entirely. 'Okay, new subject,' I finally said, as my nerves were becoming explosive at this point. Shooting me another wolf grin, Will happily complied.

---

Finally, we could smell them. Over a dozen wolves, gathered in a clearing a few miles up the path. Judging by a low howl that came from the distance, they had discovered our scent, too. Front the front of the pack, Alpha Brett began to slow his pace. He was a dark grey wolf, larger than the rest of the pack, and a firm but great Alpha. I liked him, except for the fact that his daughter was...well, horrible. I noticed her sleek form standing next to him, her fur even darker than his.