Chapter 17

((EDITED 5/19/2016))

((Please read A/N at the end; it has some important info.

Sorry in advance for any grammatical errors, this chapter is super long so it was hard to edit))

---

---

My Wolf and I were stunned speechless for several long seconds. The idea of those filthy bloodsucking vampires, strolling about in the daylight and feeding upon anyone they wanted, was horrifying. Knowing that my Fate-given Mate was the key to the vampires' salvation, so to speak, was even worse. Had Gabriel lived his entire life knowing? Had he spent his years as Alpha waiting for the day that the vampires would knock on his front door?

I just couldn't believe he had Angelic blood in his veins. I had known that Gabriel buried many secrets deep inside but never could I have expected something like this.

Raziel was watching me with that unsettling gaze of his, but I turned away from him and faced my Mate instead.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I finally asked, my voice barely above a whisper. I had been at his house for weeks, I had asked him multiple times why the vampires wanted him, and he had never come out and said it. It was a huge secret to keep, but as his Mate, I was supposed to help him shoulder the burden.

At first I had pushed him away, but once I was living with him, if only I had understood what he was going through....

Gabriel's eyes found mine, flickering with a multitude of emotions. "How could I just come out and say something like that?" He replied, his voice thick. For some reason, I felt like there was something more he wanted to say, something he was keeping suppressed.

"Is this why you keep pushing me away? Why you thought you weren't supposed to have a Mate?" I was speaking as if Raziel wasn't standing right there, as I was too absorbed in my thoughts to feel embarrassed at my vulnerability.

Gabriel's face contorted, and to my shock he turned away from me, refusing to reply.

I blinked at him in disbelief. Was he seriously refusing to answer yet another question, even after I had just learned his deepest secret?

"You're not going to answer that?" I snapped, my whirlwind of emotions threatening to overwhelm me. He remained silent, to my frustration.

"You reveal something like that about yourself and then refuse to explain how it relates to us as Mates?" I clenched my fists, unable to prevent my rising anger.

Gabriel turned halfway to glance at me. "Skylar...."

"No...don't do that. Don't use that patronizing tone!" I really was losing it.

Gabriel glanced over at Raziel, and to my surprise his look was almost pleading as he locked gazes with his grandfather.

Raziel sighed, looking resigned as he walked over to me. He gently planted his hand on my forearm. His touch was almost soothing instead of disarming.

"Skylar, do you want to take a walk with me?" Raziel asked, eyes boring into mine. "I have a really lovely garden out back, and almost nobody ever gets to see it." He gave me a significant look. My eyes flicked to Gabriel, who had started to pace in agitation. I really wanted to continue to pry him with questions, but at the same time I was feeling claustrophobic and stressed. Perhaps I could use some fresh air.

I attempted to take a deep breath, forcing down my anger. If Gabriel wouldn't tell me things, maybe I could get them out of Raziel.

"Okay," I replied shortly. Raziel grinned that brilliant, disarming smile of his before leading me towards the back of the house. I glanced over my shoulder to see Gabriel sinking back down onto the couch, placing his head in his hands. My Wolf suddenly itched to comfort him but I held her back. He was not getting that sort of treatment until he stopped hiding things from me. Part of me knew I was being a bit unfair and demanding, but I had waited long enough. I had handled the Angel thing without fainting; how much worse could it get?