Unfortunately, today was not my lucky day, for as Maria's mother greeted me and led me to her daughter's room, my sensitive nose picked up the dreaded scent there. I scowled, fighting back my irritation as I stood in the door frame. The two looked up at me then, Maria with a friendly smile, Anne with a smile that held thinly veiled contempt.

Maria had very dark hair and eyes with olive-toned skin. She was muscular and tall, unlike me. Anne was blonde and slender, though still taller than me, and her delicate and dazzling looks reminded me of my mother. Unlike my mother, she had quite a mean streak.

"Hey Maria, Anne." My voice sounded slightly different when I said her name, as much as I tried to hide it, and her eyes narrowed, noticing it. Unfortunately I couldn't disrespect her outright, as she was the Alpha's daughter.

"Sky!" Maria said excitedly, bouncing over to me. "I heard that you're going to the Meeting tonight!" She knew how much I'd wanted to go.

I smiled slightly, my nerves jumping into overdrive. "Yeah, they decided to let me," I replied. They must have heard my heart rate increasing because Anne smirked slightly while an understanding look appeared in Maria's eyes. Maria indicated her blonde friend. "It's Anne's first time, too," she said, trying to lighten the mood.

Anne stood up smoothly. "Fortunately, my father has been well preparing me for this for a while. Wouldn't want to go in scared," she said lightly, staring at me with a knowing expression. Her eyes flicked to Maria. "I've gotta go, Father will want me to help with the preparations. You know, higher-up stuff." She tossed me one more look, this one with scarcely concealed dislike, before exiting the room, leaving me to scowl after her.

"She's just wonderful," I muttered under my breath, my fists clenching. Maria rested a hand on my shoulder. "Ignore her. Let's watch TV until it's time to go." Smiling at her, I was grateful for the distraction and I eagerly lost myself in some crime show for the next hour and a half.

--

Oh, the joy of running.

Despite the sense of seriousness and nervousness that was pressing down on our group, I knew the wolves running beside me could also feel it. It was the full moon, and our senses felt even more alive than normal, our Wolves howling with joy within us. As I glanced up into its silvery brilliance I wondered if we were the only creatures that loved the moon so much. I knew instinctively that we were not the only supernatural beings in the world; I'd heard whispers of others, although I'd never encountered them. I figured they were rare and I would cross that bridge when I came to it. Still, I couldn't help but consider the idea of other powerful beings.

We did not bother to hide the noise our paws made as they crashed against the ground, for nothing would dare approach us. Instead, we took pleasure in each other's company, in the thrill of having large muscles and nearly endless endurance, in the thrill of being more alive than any other creature could imagine. My blood ran hot and my panting was loud but I welcomed the smells and sensations. One could almost have forgotten the reason for our journey during a time like this.

We had been running for hours now, stopping only twice to rest, eat, and drink. In our wolf forms we burned four times as many calories as a normal human and frequently needed sustenance. It was worth it, though, for we could run in Wolf form for a couple of full days without tiring when properly nourished and rested.

I knew we were only an hour away now, and as I thought about it I felt the nervousness rise despite the joy of my run. I glanced up at the moon, as if for guidance, but it did not hold the answers I sought. I knew a few other wolves had not yet been to a Meeting and I could smell their wariness around me. Even the veterans had reason to be scared.