Midnight Blood {3}

"Prince Jordan," I breathed, staring into his icy blue eyes. His gaze met mine and he broke into a breath-taking, heart-stopping smile. My chest squeezed tight and I almost my breath caught in my throat.

"Ahh," he sighed. "Ms. Violet, I presume." His voice sounded like music in my ears. I caught the faintest British accent in his voice. He spoke with the cadence of the century while my parents always chastised me on my harsh, American language. I had lived in England for years now, but I still spoke with the carefree intonation of my home country.

"Y-yes," I stuttered, struggling to remain coherent.

He flashed a dazzling, crooked smiled and stepped back, extending his hand. "I don't believe we've met."

"Well, not personally, anyway," I said, scrambling to regain my composure. My formalness would surely impress my father as I shook Prince Jordan's hand, trying to look indifferent.

A curious glint entered the Prince's eye and I watched carefully, stiffening as he took a step forward, too close for comfort. My heart beat hard against my rib cage. I struggled to breath, enjoying and hating the lack of space between us at the same time.

"Would you like to dance?" he offered, his voice suddenly deep and husky. He placed his hands on my arms and moved closer, nearly pressing my body into his and breathing into my hair. I could feel his hot breath saturate the strands and I shuddered. What was he doing?

"I, uh, sure," I said, unable to maintain the careful formality I had managed before.

The Prince's hands slid from the top of my arms down to fingers, slowly, making a shiver run through me once me and then he pulled back with a smirk on his face. He led me through the throng of people who seemed to have been oblivious to what had just passed between the Prince and I. They stared now as he led me down the stairs. The guests all stopped, clearing the dance floor and watching in awe as Prince Jordan turned around and positioned his arms. I slid my hand up into his and placed my other one on his shoulder. He snaked his arm around my waist, pressing me against him. This felt so intimate- not like any friendly dance. It felt... seductive.

And I liked it.

My breath was coming quickly, my heart already racing even though we hadn't started dancing yet.

"Uh, Prince Jor-" I started, but he cut in.

"Just Jordan, please."

"Um... Jordan... I honestly don't know how to dance," I said. I hadn't even thought of that when I had agreed to dance with him. I had never done this before.

"Don't worry. Just follow my lead."

"But-"

I didn't have time to protest. Just then the soft music started and Jordan spun me abruptly around in a circle and then started the intricate steps of the waltz. The moment the dance started, I locked my eyes with Jordan's... and couldn't take them away. I was entranced in his gaze, and he seemed just as absorbed as I was. His stare was intense; he almost seemed to be concentrating on something. I was sure that this would be such a distracting I would mess up and fall in front of everyone, but I suddenly seemed to know every step. My feet maneuvered the dance floor easily and my body seemed to have a life of its own as it glided around in time with Jordan's. Eventually, I slid my arm around his neck and pressed myself tight against him. He welcomed this, lowering his head to bury his face in my hair as we spun around. I couldn't remember ever feeling like this before. I was on fire and his body was my fuel.

Suddenly, the music ended and all movement stopped. I seemed to snap out of a trance. Jordan lifted his head and smiled. Then he looked around him and his smiled slowly disappeared. I, too, looked around us to see everyone staring, open-mouthed, like they had just witnessed an explosion. The girls were sneering, glaring at me with disdain. The adults looked positively repulsed to see me wrapped in Jordan's arms. I spotted my parents and they looked shell-shocked. Two people suddenly rushed out of the crowds.