Chapter 13

Maay awoke to near darkness. Her stomach told her it was morning, or at least should be, as did the noises coming from the other side of the curtain. Icy air greeted her beyond the warm cocoon of bedding. Ever since she'd arrived here, there was always a fire in the stove and a bucket of water warming on top. Both courtesy of Jaimin.

And then he broke his leg. How had it repaired so quickly? Bone shouldn't be able knit itself together like that, but, somehow, it had done so. He'd been able to limp by the time they'd returned and she'd assisted him to his chambers.

Strange to think it had only been yesterday. Feels longer. And he had been insistent on the fact he'd be fully healed the next day. How could it be possible for him to regain his full strength overnight? He'd seemed so weary. The process, coupled with flying them back here, must have taken a great toll on him.

She shook her head. And here I am bemoaning the lack of warm water. She should best be getting used to doing things on her own anyway. Surely no one pandered to dragons. Not from what she'd seen and heard. How did dragons clean themselves anyhow? It would take a line of servants and buckets of water to fill a bath large enough to hold one as big as Jaimin.

Slippered feet padding on the floor, she carefully made her way to the dim glow of the stove's coals. Coaxing them to life, she cast a cold glance about the room lit in the ruddy firelight. Where would she find water? Or, for that matter, a bucket to put it in? Surely it wouldn't do any harm to forgo washing for one morning. The days were getting colder and few bathed daily back at Byron's Peak, especially in winter.

Maay glared down at the thin nightgown. She didn't relish the thought of stripping in this chill cavern. If only she could get her clothes to alter themselves while she wore them. Jaimin hadn't seemed at all bothered by the hiccup in that, merely saying she'd eventually learn to control it. He'd seemed so focused on getting her to take her dragon form first. Perhaps now that she could, he would be just as eager to teach her other things.

"Ah, good to see you're finally awake, dear child."

She spun at the familiar voice, smiling as Mara slipped passed the curtain. A tray balanced on the woman's hand, bearing a small cup and bowl. Maay's stomach grumbled anew at the sight. How long had she been sleeping? Taking the offered tray, she sat herself down on the bed and proceeded to devour the bowl's contents. Stew again. Did they eat nothing else?

"I came to speak with you last night, but you'd already fallen asleep," Mara said as she seated herself on the other side of the bed. "I trust you are well after all that unaccustomed exercise. No doubt on an empty tummy."

Spoon halfway to her mouth, she felt a spark of cold run over her skin. I mustn't tell the council I can take dragon form. Did Jaimin mean for her to keep the councillor's knights ignorant too? "To what are you referring?" It made her sick to think she couldn't trust Mara. The woman had been nothing but kind to her. And yet, as her adopted mother would say, it took only one slip of the wrong word to give away the secret.

"Your flying, child." Mara gave one of her warm, understanding smiles. Maay wished she'd even half the knowledge this woman possessed. She seemed to know everything about this place and more of the people living within. "Jaimin said he broke his leg teaching you to fly."

One slip. She'd expected it to be her mistake, not his. "A little tired," she mumbled. Her gaze fell to the spoon, watching the bits of meat and vegetables bob in and out of the liquid as she stirred. Hunger had left her for the moment. She scooped up another mouthful anyway.

"He also asked me to talk to you. About adult matters, babes and such."

She frowned. Jaimin had asked this? Granted she didn't know much, very little at all when it came to dragons, but she'd hoped that some of it would be of use. Why send Mara? Surely a female dragon would've been a better choice. "I know where babies come from." Had her assistance on the first night here been forgotten so soon? Her husband may be the one to teach her of love making, but her dallying with the midwives had taken much of the mystery away when it came to child bearing.