Some of the kids and Dads went outside and sat on the grass for lunch. We ate lunch at our table. The three families had kind of gotten to know each other. Mr. Hugh brought us our lunch. It had been cooked outside on some big barrel grills set up for the occasion. The other volunteers brought food to the Morrisons and the Calahans. We had just chowed down when Ms. Scottie picked up the mike.

"Zach Dejon, your family has arrived"

Everyone started clapping. Zach jumped up, spilling his drink all over the floor. A volunteer started mopping it up while Zach ran to the back and hugged the three kids who came through the door.

"In the 10 years since we started having camps at RCC, this is only the second time we've had all the children show up," Ms. Scottie said. She blew her nose and wiped her eyes. "Praise God," she said through a watery smile.

I looked at Tiger Girl and raised my eyebrows. She wrinkled her nose at me, but she smiled with her whole face, eyes and all.

After lunch, we got presents from our Dads. One thing all the boys got was a tie. The Dads had to teach us to tie them. It was hilarious. Shawn and Dad were laughing. "This was a lot easier last night when we practiced on each other," Dad said.

The girls all got a wrist corsage.

"Dads and daughters," Ms. Scottie announced as the men put the flowers on their daughter's wrists. "Most of you are going to miss sending your daughters to prom. Some of you may miss their wedding day. So right now, you get to dance with them."

The Dads led their daughters onto the floor as 'At Last' by Etta James poured out of the speakers. At first Tiger Girl was kind of stiff. Her Dad leaned down and said something in her ear. As Etta sang, "I found a dream that I could speak to," she smiled and rested her face on her Dad's chest. Ella crooned, "You smiled, you smiled and oh then the spell was cast." Mike planted a soft kiss of Kay's head. She looked up and locked eyes with him as the song continued, "And here we are in heaven for you are mine, at last."

When they stopped dancing near where I stood watching, I saw a tear glistening on purple face paint. I smiled. Mr. Hugh was right. What a difference a few hours can make.

After that, we had an hour to spend talking with our Dads. Ms. Scottie called it a time for forgiveness and new beginnings. Dads and kids spread out all over the chapel and the grounds. The volunteers had sort of melted away. As Dad and I started down the hall and out the doors, we saw the volunteers. They were in a classroom, standing in a prayer circle. All of them were praying at once. I knew that each volunteer was praying for his charges by name.

Dad and I found a bench outside under a tree. We sat down and turned to face one another with our knees touching.

"I know you said I don't need to ask your forgiveness, CW," Dad said. "But you are wrong. I made a mess of my life and set a terrible example for you. I screwed up a perfectly good marriage and shattered a family. I tried to find happiness in bottles and pills. I refused to consider that God was real and cared about me as a person. I thought He probably existed, but I didn't think he cared what men did with their lives or about this world he created. Now I know better. I asked your Mom's forgiveness when she came to visit. Now, I'm asking for yours. I want to be the Dad you needed, not the pal you thought would have your back when you first wrote to me."

"You've got it," I said.

"I need to hear the words."

"I forgive you, Dad. You may not have set the best example back then, but the life you're leading now speaks volumes." I cleared my throat. "I was mad when I got your letter, and you refused to tell me where the key to the Blue Ox was. I thought you had gone off the deep end talking about God and how Mom was right. There's something about lying in a hospital bed with your life being measured one heartbeat at a time that brings you face to face with reality. I'm trying the God thing again. In fact, I just prayed my way through the trial of the guys who hotwired your bike for me."