He blushed a little handing me the bag, “It’s just something I’ve been wanting to give you for awhile now but don’t open it till you get home.  I’ve gotta shower after the game and I don’t want you waiting around for me so I’ll meet you at the party if that’s ok?”

“Yeah that’s perfect, I gotta bring Kanes car anyways since he’ll be hitching a ride with you guys after the game to the party so it works out good.”

“Okay then, I’ll see you tonight!” He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and hurried into the lockers.

I drove home just a litlle above the speed limit, okay way over the speed limit but I had a gift to open, and after saying a quick hello to my mom and dad who were cuddling on the couch I ran up to my room to open my gift.  Quickly pulling out the tissue I reached my hand inside to feel…jersey material?  I pulled it out bringing a white note with it.  It was Deke’s spare football jersey with his number 23 on it.  I smiled opening the note:

Kaylah,

I know I said I’d give you time but I’m hoping you’ve had enough and have decided to be my girl.  As you know all the guys give their girls their jersey to wear and Shane never gave you one because he thought it didn’t matter since everyone knew you were his girl, well if you decide to be mine I want everyone to SEE you’re mine.  I’m hoping you’ll decide to wear it, no pressure, but you’ll make me the happiest wide receiver out there if you do!

Love,

Deke

If I hadn’t already decided to be his girl this would have put me over the edge!  He is so amazing and I don’t know why it took me this long to see how perfect he was for me!  He would never hurt me and I knew that with all my heart.  I wasn’t going to wear the jersey tonight because I wanted him to hear it straight from me first how much I’ve come to care for him, probably even love him.  I didn’t want a jersey to steal my moment so I would bring it with me to the party and wear it after I confessed everything to him!  I couldn’t wait!!!

Deke’s POV

I was really nervous, not about the game, we were undefeated and the team we were meeting tonight was 0 and 6 so we pretty much had this in the bag!  I was nervous to see if Kaylah would be wearing my jersey like I asked her to.  I’ve been very patient but I was getting restless! I wanted to be able to hold her whenever I wanted and kiss her just because.  I know I sound like a chick but I love her so much it hurts to be away.

We headed out to the field to warm up and as soon as we got in our lines for stretches I scanned the bleachers for her beautiful face.  After a minute I found her sitting next to her mom and dad three rows up but the excited feeling I had in my stomach dissolved when I noticed she wasn’t wearing it.  She looked nice in a lacy black top and denim skirt but she would’ve looked even better in my jersey.  I felt, rejected.  What more could I do to convince her of how I felt?  I never had to work so hard with Tanya. What? Why am I thinking like that?  What I feel for Kaylah is so much more than what I had with Tanya.  I guess my ego just doesn’t know how much more rejection it can take.  I was a little angry to, I mean how much longer was I going to have to pay for the mistakes Shane made?  Coach called us in breaking me out of my thoughts.  I was going to channel all my energy in tonights game, they better be ready because I had a lot of frustration to get out!

****************************************************************************************************************

We murdered them! 42-0!

Everyone was ready to celebrate so I faked some enthusiasm even though I felt down.  I would get to see her tonight but not get as close as I wanted to.  I just wish she gave me some small sign that she was at least considering it.  Oh well, I said I would wait so that’s what I was stuck doing.  I quickly showered and me, Kane, Rick, and Steven all got in my Escalade and headed to the party.  

As we got there you could see the party was in full swing.  My phone went off signaling a text and I looked at it seeing it was Kaylah!

Stopped for a quick victory dinner w/the rents! Be there soon!

So, she was gonna be late, might as well get started on numbing some of this pain so I could keep her from seeing it.  I walked into the party and noticed Kane was already chatting up some hot college girls so I headed to the kitchen only to bump into Tanya at the keg!

“Hey cutie, I knew you were coming and wanted to give you you’re first victory drink of the night!” she said rubbing my arm and handing me a cup.

“Thanks!” I took the cup and drained it in one gulp so she quickly refilled it.

She pulled me into the back den area where they were taking some shots so I decided why not, it is a party right?  We started doing shots and Tanya got closer and closer to me but right now all I cared about was the alcohol.  

“You did so good tonight! Five of the six touchdowns! You were amazing!” She gushed.

I’m not gonna lie, it felt really good to be admired by someone while I was feeling so low and Tanya wasn’t hard on the eyes, a little fake yeah but we did have some fun times together.  She started rubbing my arms and getting closer to whisper in my ear.  Things were starting to get a little fuzzy and I found myself leaning into her thinking maybe I’ve lost my charm and that’s why Kaylah’s not falling for me.  Nope, Tanya was looking at me lustfully licking her lips and I felt myself stir.  I know I don’t feel anything for her but it was nice to see her looking at me without apprehension and uncertainty.  I knew she wanted me and for a moment I told myself I wanted her too.  We were sitting pretty close on the couch in the corner of the den and she moved to sit in my lap.  I didn’t tell her to move even though I know I should have.  She looked me in the eyes and slowly leaned forward waiting for me to decide what happens next.  I stared at her for a minute and a nagging voice was telling me not to but I ignored it and met her the rest of  the way sealing our lips together.