I sat up straighter in my seat. I had been slumped over. "That's good." I sighed. "I was just disappointed. I hoped to get this over with today so I could get on with my life."

"I know," Mom said. "We all did, but keep your chin up. At least you weren't placed somewhere. We get to go through this together."

"Get to?"

"You know what I mean. I can be there for you every day."

"I know. And I appreciate it Mom. You've gone way above and beyond, after the way I treated you. I'll always remember waking up, seeing your face and knowing you were there even though I didn't deserve for you to be there."

"Sort of like Jesus," Grady said.

"You're into Jesus?" I asked.

He smiled. "Yeah. He's the reason I stay on as a public defender. This is my way of helping out the widows and orphans, like the Bible says."

"And single Moms and their brat." 

"That too. The Bible tells us to take care of the widows and orphans because back then they had no means of support and few rights. I don't take the passage literally. I think it means to take care of those whose rights are trampled on and who can't take care of themselves. Most of my clients fall into that category in one way or another."

"Yeah. I don't know what we'd have done without you. I guess I need to be thanking you too."

After that and some food, I felt better. Mom and Grady weren't worried. Didn't the Bible tell us not to worry cause it wouldn't make us any taller. I always thought that verse was funny, but it made sense. What good had worry ever done anyone?

When we got back to the room, I was beat. The outing had depleted my energy. The nurse asked if I wanted my lunch tray. I told her all I wanted was my pill and some sleep.

"We stopped and got him some street food," Mom added.

I took the pill and closed my eyes. I was drifting in that place between wakefulness and sleep when Mom's phone rang. I was vaguely aware of what was going on, but wasn't sure whether or not I was dreaming.

"Hello," Mom said. "Who? A volunteer with what organization?"

There was a pause. "Oh, you volunteer at the prison where Paul is incarcerated."

It was weird listening to one side of a conversation while your mind floated somewhere between sleep and consciousness. Mom must have been listening more than talking because there were long periods of silence interspersed with short sentences from her.

"You let kids spend a whole day in prison with their Dads?"

"Well, CW is in the hospital, but he'll be out before then, I suppose."

"Does it matter that he's been charged with the crime of joyriding and is awaiting sentencing?

"I see."

"Yes, I have your number on my phone. You say your name is June?"

"I'll pray about it."

"Thanks. We can use all the prayer we can get."

Mom's voice either stopped, or I went all the way under. When I woke up, I was alone. There was a note on my tray.

"I was called in to work. They are short handed. I know you'll be okay, but I'll be checking in. Rehab is canceled for this afternoon. I told them you needed your rest after your field trip this morning. Love you. Mom."

I looked at the note. I wondered how long Mom had been gone. Had I dreamed the phone call or was it real? I picked up the Chainlink that Mom had put back on my tray. I looked up the article on Angel Tree. The name of the woman in charge was June. Could she be a volunteer with both programs, that one and ODWG? Did my mind remember that and put the name into a dreamed conversation or had Mom really talked to someone about ODWG?