I assume Clarence has taken you to pick up your Angel Tree gift. He was supposed to do it early this week so you'd have it before this letter arrives. He said he'd take pictures and send me some. I drew the card. It's a knock off of a Norman Rockwell. I don't do good with freehand, like you do, but I can make a presentable copy.

I know you can't write from Mexico. I wish you had J-Pay, that's the email system for inmates. Your Mom would have to set up an account and pay for it, though. Maybe when you're sixteen you can get your own account.

Anyway, I love you. Have fun at Christmas and take lots of pictures. You can print some and mail them to me.

Love, Dad

I looked over at the box from Popz sitting in the corner. I'd opened a yo-yo on Wednesday. It had a pamphlet with it on how to do tricks and a note from Popz that said, "This may seem lame, but play around with it, unless your homies make fun of you, of course. I hear there are some really good U-tube videos on how to do yo-yo tricks, too." I hadn't done anything with it, but I figured I'd take it to Mexico. Maybe I could learn some tricks to pass the time.

On Thursday, I'd opened a book filled with card game rules and a deck of cards. The note said, "When you're locked up, you have a lot of spare time. Maybe we can play some cards when I get out." The book included every card game I'd ever heard of and lots I hadn't. Most had variations on how they could be played. The Spades rules were different than how Momz played, but her way was one of the variations.

I hadn't even thought about today's gift. I went and picked up package number four. Inside was a digital camera, still in the package, with a 8 gig SanDisk card, also in its original packaging. The note said, "I know you have a camera on your phone, but I hear you can get better photos with this. Anyway, the guys at the paper told me that I had to get it for you. They all wanted it for themselves. You should be able to take lots of pictures on an 8 gig card."

It wasn't a top of the line camera or anything, but it wasn't a cheap toss away, either. I couldn't believe Popz scored a camera. "The Angels must have pretty deep pockets," I thought.

I sat down and typed Popz a quick letter, thanking him for my package and assuring him that I wouldn't talk to Mom about ODWG. I didn't tell him I wasn't about to pray for Momz heart to change. I just didn't mention it at all. I told him he could do whatever he wanted with my cartoon. My last paragraph said, "When I found out that Momz wouldn't let me attend Angel Tree, I didn't get the red ass like when I got the birthday card. Instead, I calmly told her that from now on I'd be treating her the way she was forcing me to treat you. I don't talk to her at all. I completely ignore her, as though she's not even there. She left a letter for me today, though. I guess I'll have to read it, lol, since I read yours. When I first found out about her deception, I wasn't talking to her except in angry tones so she tried writing. I marked everything she gave me 'return to sender' and slid it under her bedroom door. She got the message and quit trying to leave me explanatory notes. Now I guess, I've boxed myself in a corner. I can't put return to sender on her letter because I don't do that with yours. She thinks she's being crafty, but we'll see."

I had gotten Jake to take a couple of pictures of me on Blue Ox. I had taken one of the gaming setup. I took a picture of F2 with its wood burned sign and its bottle wind chimes. We'd taken a selfie of Jake and Marlow and me in front of F2. We were toasting Popz with our brews. Marlow had a selfie stick. For homeless dudes, they sure had a lot of stuff. When I asked about it, Marlow just shrugged and said. "Guilt gifts."

I put the pictures in the envelope with the letter. I put two stamps on it cause I didn't want it to come back with "insufficient postage" stamped on the front. I put Unlce Clarence's return address on it, just in case. I walked down to the 7-11 where there was a mailbox and put the letter in the box. I still didn't trust Momz, and I sure didn't want her to get a look at the pics. I'd be grounded forever if she saw the selfie.