Chapter II

Amelia's reverie was interrupted by the entrance of her husband.

John was a strong looking man with delicate, yet dignified features. His light brown hair fell in short curls that created a halo about his head, just barely covering the long sideburns that highlighted his square chin. His face was otherwise clean shaven. Though many other men of similar affluence were known to flaunt their wealth with unnecessary accessories, John favoured tailored waist coats and jackets, basically tied cravats and topper made of beaver pelt. His only extravagance was an ornate pocket watch that sat in the pocket opposite his coin purse. He had purchased it himself on his first trip to London for business in order to commemorate his entrance into meaningful society.

John considered himself a man of simple tastes despite his family's wealth. Neither of his parents were prone to spending in excess of their means, and John had taken this lesson to heart. Any additional income the family could afford was given back to the those dependent on Eagleton Manor for work, lodging, and income. Nevertheless, he also acknowledged his own position within society, and was able to allow for certain luxuries that kept up appearances.

As John walked in to the manor, he noticed Amelia taking in her surroundings. He hoped that she would not be feeling uncertain about her choice to accept his proposal. Many things had changed in John's life over the past year, leading many to question if he should have pursued marriage so soon after his parents had died. Yet, deep inside, John knew that he could not have born one more day alone in such a big house. Social obligations had become tiresome, especially when he became the sole proprietor of Eagleton. He found most ladies trite and unappealing, with the exception of only one: Amelia.

Amelia and John had been friends since infancy.  Cauldwell Lodge was but a short distance from Eagleton, and their fathers had formed a partnership and frequently traveled to London together on business. Little did either member of the couple doubt their affection for each other, and although it was not expressly asserted, both had felt that their mothers had intended them for one another early on.

"These halls must not seem so unfamiliar to you, Amelia. You have spent many an occasion here." said John.

"In that you are correct, dear husband, but this is the first moment in which I set foot as mistress of a household, rather than a master of whist or as a 'courtier' at one of your mother's balls."

"Does this leave you feeling inadequate? You have always given the impression of comfort and ease. I should not wish you to feel ill equipped in your own home".

"I shall muster the courage to take charge, as best I can. Though, I will ensure that I only take charge of you in more intimate settings, lest the servants begin to suspect who the gentleman of the house really is."

"Amelia, your unaffected wit borders on vulgarity! Yet, your assertions betray your true apprehension" he said lovingly. "You will learn to be comfortable here, as it is now your own home. I expect to see things change for the better around here, and I could not be more thankful for the breath of fresh air you will bring."

"Only a breath, John, I promise," she said affectionately squeezing his hand. "Should I bring a gale I would expect tradition to come crashing down about me."

"What a sensible sentiment, my dear,"  he replied with a smile.

"Now that that is settled, let us dine together for the first time as husband and wife," said Amelia as she led John towards the dining room.