Prologue

I wonder what my mom and dad would say,
If I told them that I cry each day.
I wish I wasn't always cold.
I wish I wasn't always alone.

**7 Years Earlier**
Selena's POV:

"Get in the car, Derek! Take Tyler and Selena and tell the man to take you home!" my mother screamed as I was scooped into Derek's arms. He was the strongest 10th grader I knew--physically and emotionally. The chilly air swept all around like a ghostly hand clenching and suffocating us, attempting to trap us as well. I had no idea what was going on, not remembering much except for three distinct things: the sound of a gun going off, anguish screams I recognized as my mother and father's, and the sobs from my two older brothers as they followed the instructions I was too young to comprehend. 

I lost both parents at the age of 11, my brother Tyler was 12, and my oldest brother Derek, 16. We were supposed to be on a family vacation but I guess life has a funny way of telling us how things aren't meant to be. 

We didn't handle it very well. 

Our relatives took us in for about two years until Derek graduated and declared that he wanted to take custody of us himself. Due to the slowly impacting income issues our nurturing created, my aunts and uncles easily released us from their supervision and let Derek take over. He had first priority after all.

We dealt with it. Derek explained what happened to me and though he tried to censor certain bits and pieces, I knew better. That, and Tyler's twelve year old self was surprisingly quite sharp and he had every detail engraved into his mind. When Derek left us alone in the living room, Tyler informed me of how a man, Ian Mort, tracked us down in our London trip and killed our parents. 

"What did they want?" I asked with my lip quivering, still unable to accept the death of the two adults I loved most.

"I don't know, sweetheart. Probably money," Tyler shrugged his shoulders as he brought me into his embrace, not even caring I was staining his favourite sweater with my useless tears. He would hum Dad's favourite song and kiss my forehead, telling me, life moves on. 

We returned to school. I was an incoming sixth grader and starting middle school, I shut down. I wasn't the same happy, cheery, innocent girl my classmates admired and all wanted to be friends with. I became the scary, dark girl who no one wanted to come close to; I became a threat. It would be a sin to be around me--I was just that poisionous. I didn't mind as much as I thought I would. I liked being left alone; I didn't want to talk to anybody or answer any interrogations. Everything was spiraling out of control and I knew I would just break in front of everyone if I was pushed further. One day, Derek came home with two girls and a boy--I recognized all of them as people in Tyler's grade. The boy with brown hair and matching brown eyes was Dylan, Tyler's best friend; I knew him very well since he often came over to sleep over or just to come spend time with Ty. The girl with dark brown hair was beautiful like her name, Crystal; she was Tyler's longtime crush and I remember him gushing about her. I would always mock him and sing the kissing-in-a-tree song, resulting in him trying to muffle my mouth. Finally, the strawberry-blond girl, Holland, who I did not know as well--I have seen her around often before though. She was fashionable and reserved, someone who I envisioned to grow up like; I admired her from afar when Tyler brought me along to his hang-outs when no one could watch over me at home. Unlike their usual unique quirky selves, they were shaking bodies, with unruly hair and tear-stained cheeks, reflecting broken souls very similar to our own. I found out that their parents were killed by the same man for the same unknown reason. 

Since then, we became a family. Derek adopted all three of them and we've lived together ever since. We took care of one another, we shared secrets, we saved each other, we were our own support system.