The Bad Boy Came To Town

I was sitting in Ms. Wackbush's class when the door swings open, revealing a boy in a green graphic tee that says "Go Hug a Cactus". I don't know why, but something forces my body to lean over. I fumble around in my bag for a black beanie with studs on it. Studs are close enough to thorns right? I jump out of my chair as soon as the door closes and Ms. Wackbush is out of earshot. I run, well combat role over a desk, and slide under Cole's legs, to the new kid, stuff the beanie on his head, and hug him.
"What the hell do you think you're doing?" He yells.
"Following directions," i say cheerfully. Im not a hippy, but im border line granola, that means super bubbly. If i were to chose a faction, it would be Amity.
"Okay, here are some more: go sit you as-"he didn't finish that last word as he looked up at me. No, this is not the part where we lock eyes and fall instantly in love, this is the part where he has a change of heart. I look like a 12 year old girl that grows daisies, only half of that is actually me. I am 18 and still haven't managed to fill in a single women's t-shirt. I still shop at Justice and GAP. I do grow daisies, no, not on Papaw's farm. On my front porch, yes, which is enclosed by my picket fence that yes, surrounds my sunshine yellow house.  So ya, I'm your average granola.
"Just, watch where you're going next time Sunshine, wouldn't want those pretty little pigtails to get hurt," he says, bopping my nose and flipping my hair. I have no doubt in my mind that I'm as red as an apple right now. In an attempt to hide it, i pull my binder up closer to my face.
"Whats the matter Princess? Charming had to go?" I hear snickering behind me.
"Vanessa, so nice to see you again!" I reply cheerfully. She can take a lot of things from me, but dignity and beliefs are not one of them.
"I didn't here you deny the fact that you're in love with Caleb," she shoots out.
"I'm terribly sorry for the confusion, I never said it, but if it helps your self esteem, I have no feelings for said 'Caleb', who I don't really know who that is," I said calmly, never raising my voice. Behind me I hear a series of 'oohs' and 'ahhhhhhhhs'.
"Who thought Papaw's little farm girl could bite?" Carly snapped. It does not bother me that they don't understand the term 'granola', however I don't like to be picked on for it.
"If she does, get to a hospital, she probably has rabies," Vanessa popped. Suddenly there was a hand on my shoulder, an unfamiliar, yet comforting hand.
"Sorry Sunshine, let me take care of this," said the boy with the cactus shirt, he surprisingly still wore the hat i gave him.
"If you want to pick on someone, then pick on me, go ahead, hit me with your worst. Come on dear, whats the matter? Can't pick on your prey as easy?" He asked testily.
"Please, thank you,  I really appreciate it but," I turn to see the look in their eyes, "to assure everyone, I don't have rabies, and I don't bite." I say. I turned on my heels to walk out of the classroom, a hand soon on the small of my back.