DENNY'S YANKEE CAP

Sam

--
We all slowly looked over at Vern, giving him our full attention. "Well, I was under the porch, digging, ya know..." We all understood what he meant, obviously looking for his pennies. He told us what Charley and Billy's conversation about Ray.

"I know the Back Harlow Road! It comes to a dead end by the Royal River. The train tracks are right there! Even my dad use to fish for cossies out there!" Teddy explained.

"Jesus Christ, man. If they would have known you were under the door they would have killed you!" Chris pointed out.

"Could he have gotten all the way from Chamberlain to Harlow?" Gordie asked.

"Yeah, that's really far." I added in.

"Sure. He must've started walking on the train tracks and just followed them the whole way." Chris said.

"Yeah. Yeah, right. Then after dark the train must come around and -- el smacko!" Teddy yelled.

"Yeah. Hey, hey guys! I bet you anything that if we find him we'll get our pictures in the paper!"

"Yeah, we'd even be on TV!"

"Sure!"

"We'll be heroes!"

"Yeah!"

"I don't know. Billy will know I found out." Vern said interrupting Teddy and Chris' big moment.

"He's not gonna care. Cause it's gonna be us who find him. Not Billy and Charley Hogan in a boosted car. They'll probably pin a medal on ya, Vern." Gordie said trying to get Vern on board. I stayed silent trying to process what was happening.

"Yeah, you think so?" I rolled my eyes at how easy Vern was.

"Sure!" Gordie successfully said.

"What'll we tell our folks?" I asked finally speaking up.

"Exactly what Vern said. We all tell our folks we're camping out in his backfield. Then we'll say we are going to the drag races the next day... until dinner tomorrow night." I rolled my eyes and picked up my sketchbook and decided to draw a tree.

"That's a plan and a half." Chris said.
I kind of zoned out and focused on my drawing. Until Chris and Teddy finally convinced Vern to say yeah. I looked over at Gordie. He wasn't as happy as the other guys. I showed him the drawing of the tree. He grinned widely.

"You're getting real good."

"You think?" I asked, it was decent, but good? No. Gordie nodded while strapping an arm around my shoulder. We were always close. Him telling me what to draw for his stories. We could read each other like a book.
--
I walked into my room at Uncle Kale's house. Drawings, paintings, sketches, sculptures all over the place. I grabbed a canteen and filled it up with water.
I figured to bring a sleeping bag. My sketchbook of course and my little pocket that held all of my supplies to paint and draw etc. I grabbed my two dollars from under my pillow and shoved it in along with everything else.
I put a hair tie over my right wrist and started for the door.
Three steps away from the door I stepped on the loudest, most creakiest floor board in the house. Rookie mistake. Uncle Kale immediately got up wobbling over to me.
"Where are you going, little lady?" He asked.
"Out. With the boys." I replied sassily. He grabbed my the collar of my shirt and brought himself face to face with me.
"Hey now don't get snarky with me." He studied my face. "You look so much like my sister. She always hated you, ya know? Don't know why, but she did. May was her favorite. But now she left and its your fault." He said before slapping me roughly. I looked at him bored like his words didn't hurt me. A look of disgust was across his face. "Get outta here." He said not even wasting time on me.
--
"Here's fine. Thank you." I said while spotting Gordie and Chris walking together. I hopped off. "Hey guys."