Mortimer's Story

This is how Mortimer's angel faded from everyone's memory and Mortimer became the Lord of Death....

Mortimer seen a human that was abused by her race, he seen deep inside her and seen the true beauty that she could be; the hidden power in every humans soul. Mortimer became fascinated by the young women and followed her every where she went. Argus, Mortimer's older brother; Jasine, Mortimer's twin sister; became worried about his absence and warned him that human life is fleeting in their existents and to not become too attached to the human. Mortimer refused to listen to his sibling and in a fit of anger at their rebuking left Tylan, their home in the heavens, seeking out his beauty. Then he found her entertaining one of her men, her body naked in front of this man who looked like a brute and Mortimer seen the pure violence in his heart and he feared for her each time she seen him. He paid her the best of all the men but his abuse towards her left her unable to move for days after. Mortimer always tried to ease her pain by giving her dreamless sleep when he left, asking favors from Blahn, or Sandman as the humans call him. Mortimer settled against the wall watching her as he always had when the brute got down on one knee and offered the lady a ring. In surprise and knowing she would receive sever punishment from her boss if she was ever caught leaving her life, she quickly refused the brute. Mortimer had to stand there unable to protect the little women as the man beat her. Each punch, slap, kick resounding in Mortimer's ears... he knew she wasn't going to recover so easily... that this man will break her fragile soul and fire tonight if it doesn't stop... but Mortimer could do nothing...

She laid there beaten, broken, sobbing, begging for mercy, when the brute bent over and grabbed her by her hair pulling a knife from his belt and sneered down at her. "If I can't have you, whore, no one shall." With those words he slit her neck. Mortimer stood in complete utter shock as he watched his beauty's red life blood slip from her neck and slide down her chest, painting her pale skin in red. The brute dropped her body and stood wiping his blade as he closed the door to her room for the final time. With her dying eyes she lay there weeping till she seen someone standing, his long black cloak hanging from his shoulders covering his face from her view, a white shirt hung loosely on his torso and black leather pants hung from his waist. He slowly approached her and looked down at the beauty taking her in a new light as her blonde hair becomes soaked in her own blood and her blue eyes slowly darken as death spreads through her body like a sickness.

"I can make you strong again, beauty, come with me and live, I shall take my rightful place in Tylan, as long as you are with me." He raised his hand towards her and she gathered the last of her strength and placed her hand in his.

When she awoke in a large bed in the arms of the stranger, this time she could see his eyes, most would call them black, but she could see the alternating shades of gray that made up his dark eyes. They held such gentleness she never knew before. He smiled at her as he spoke to her in a whisper. "Good morning my angel of beauty, welcome to Tylan, the land of the gods. My name is Mortimer my little beauty."

She snuggled down into his arms further enjoying the warmth of them then she felt a bit strange though, lighter, more energized. Mortimer stood her up and she noticed from a wall of mirrors that her naked body had been clothed in a white and black dress. Mortimer looked at the mirrors and gently tapped her forehead and energy flowed from her and slowly encased her body in a gentle caress. She heard the man chuckle and turned to the mirror to see that the energy had condensed into a swirling mass of wings on her back.

"You are now the Angel of Death, my beauty."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is how the story started, the middle is quite a bore as they both work controlling the inflow of dead souls, and she found that she was left craving for her love's arms to touch her once more. He had not touched her since that day that she received her wings and she has been left feeling lonely. She had filled her time with practicing anything and everything she could learn from the gods and goddess that lived in Tylan, well those that were friendly towards her. Towards the end of the story she was learning how to fight hand to hand from the god of war and light, Lyican.... Shall we see how this story ends? We all know that a happy ever after is never the case...

Lyican had taken pity on the human that Mortimer had turned and been trying his best to protect her against those that wished her ill. Over the years his heart softened towards the blonde and one day during practice she found that she was pinned below him after a practice fight. This wasn't uncommon but Lyican didn't move this time and instead leaned down and kissed her. She started to resist but fell into the kiss and their relationship started. Mortimer had abandoned her to long and they did their best to keep their relationship private but the word spread of the love birds and Jasine decided to take it upon herself to teach her brother Mortimer another lesson. How fleeting human's love is...

One day Lyican and the Angel were walking in the gardens; he pulled her into his arms and kissed her. That is how Mortimer found them, just as Jasine planned. In terrible rage of jealousy Mortimer cursed Lyican that he shall roam the skies of the human alone forever, the goddess of night had stars to keep her company but all Lyican will ever have is the faint songs of birds to keep him company forever more. Then he turned to the women he had loved and ripped her of all powers and forced her soul to the life after.

In return her anger rose, she had many years to practice magic and though her curse would not be as strong as the curse Mortimer placed on Lyican it would be enough to haunt him for the rest of eternity.

"With my dying breath I curse you, Mortimer, my love, my savior, my protector, my watcher... I had loved you; I obey every word you gave me. All I ever sought in return was your love and affection. You allowed your life to be consumed by the dead instead of making more to serve under you to like your brother, Argus, or Blahn as he has to cover the earth with his sand each night. You should have held what you had closer instead of allow it to slip through your fingers. My curse upon you, Mortimer, is one of emptiness and failure, each time you seek for something, you will fail. Your love now will be of the dead and you shall never leave your domain of the dead ever again. For you will never love the same ever again."

With that she was gone and Mortimer realized what he had done... and the Lord of Death wept... then turned on his own sister, the goddess of life. "I shall take what you hold dear my devious sister. You shall rue the day you started your plotting."

Argus stepped in at this moment and lessened the curse Mortimer forced on his sister. For what she held dear was life, half of the year now the realm of humans would feel Mortimer's cold touch as winter ripped through the land, the other half of the year would be when his sister would rule as summer.

Lyican faded away and became the permanent fixture in the sky, the curse Mortimer placed upon him to strong for even Argus to reverse. Lyican is now seen as the sun in the human realm but Argus gave him piety and gave him company of the moon, if you look close during the day you might see her in the sky laughing and dancing with the sun.