Chapter Nine

After lunch, we started for Hagrid's hut. Their first Care of Magical Creatures class! Ron and Hermione refused to talk to each other, so me and Harry had to walk between them.

Hagrid was waiting at the door of his hut. He seemed impatient and was waving everyone into the forest. I walked in excitedly. I couldn't wait.

Even though I noticed we were having class with the Slytherins, I was still happy. Once inside the forest, Hagrid led us to a fence. "Wait 'ere." He said, and disappeared farther into the forest.

He returned with the most magnificent animals I have ever seen in my life. Hippogriffs. Bodies, hind legs, and tails of horses, but front legs, wings, and head of eagles. Their eyes were orange and piercing, beaks sharp and deadly.

But I was strangely drawn to them.

"Any vol'nteers to come see 'em?" Hagrid asked, after telling the class what they were. I immediately stepped forward, along with a reluctant Harry.

"One thing yeh gotta know bout hippogriffs." Hagrid said, looking at the beasts. "They're proud. Don't never insult one. Could be the last thing yeh do. Whatcha gotta do is bow to 'em, and if he bows back, yeh can touch 'em."

The hippogriffs tossed their heads a d flexed their wings. The class took a step back. "Anyone want teh go first?" Hagrid asked. I jumped over the paddock fence. "Me!" I said excitedly.

"Pick one." Hagrid smiled at me. "That one, on the end." "Ah, Nightshade." The last hippogriff was ink black and very proud looking. Hagrid unchained her and she tossed her sharp head, staring at me. I returned the stare and bowed swiftly.

After a short moment, Nightshade sank down in a bow. Hagrid looked amazed. "She's the toughest to gain trust..." He muttered. I reached out and the hippogriff pushed her beak against my fingers. The beak was smooth, with a single crack along the gleaming yellow.

A gray hippogriff broke free of the chains and trotted over, and, without bowing, nudged my side. "Buckbeak!" Hagrid boomed. I smiled and stroked Buckbeak too. The class was starstruck.

"Yeh want teh ride one?" Hagrid asked, coming over. "Sure!" I looked at Nightshade, who settled down so I could mount her. Once on the hippogriff's back, I wrapped my arms around the neck. I felt as if I had done this millions of times before, not like this was my first time.

Nightshade pumped her magnificent wings and took off, and Buckbeak, with Harry riding him, following a little bit afterwards. It was amazing. It was thrilling and heart racing, and I loved it.

I sighed sadly when Nightshade hit the ground again. But when we landed, I saw that other students were bowing to hippogriffs too. I got off Nightshade and stroked her side.

Then I heard the lazy drawl of Malfoy. He was in front of Harry and Buckbeak. "I bet this ugly brute can't even do any damage." He scoffed. Before anyone could do anything,

Buckbeak attacked.

Malfoy screamed.

Blood.

I gasped and held onto Nightshade.

Hagrid wrestled Buckbeak away.

The class backed up.

"I'm dying!" Malfoy shouted. "It killed me!"

"Yer not dyin'!" Hagrid picked Malfoy up and headed to the gate. As he passed, I saw a deep gash along Malfoy's arm.

The class followed silently.

All except for me.

I stayed behind to take care of the hippogriffs while Hagrid was gone. I carefully chained them back to the fence and sighed. Nightshade and Buckbeak rested their heads on the fence, watching me.

"I have to go now..." She said reluctantly. "Dinner will be soon. I don't want to be late." I patted the hippogriffs one last time, and then ran off to catch up with her friends.

***

Dinner was uneventful. So after dinner, we went back to Hagrid's. I knocked on the door and jumped back slightly when Hagrid growled, "C'min."

They entered to Hagrid sitting at his table. He had obviously been drinking. "Bet they've never 'ad a teacher who on'y lasted a day." He muttered. "You've been fired?" Hermione gasped. "Not yet..." Hagrid sighed. I didn't want to stay through this.

I was getting very uncomfortable, so I went outside into the fresh air, and saw Buckbeak sitting in the pumpkin patch in front of the hut. He brightened up when he saw me. "Hey, Bucky." I smiled, walking over to him.

I stroked his feathers gently. "Sweet thing. It wasn't your fault." She smiled. I heard the door open and looked over to see Hermione walk out to dump Hagrid's big bucket of whatever he was drinking.

Hagrid followed to dunk his head in the water barrel. When he walked back in, there was a moment of silence from the hut. Then I heard Hagrid shout. I didn't understand what he said, it hurt my ears too much.

Buckbeak reared up in fright. "It's okay!" I soothed. The door slammed open again. Hagrid was dragging Harry back up to the castle, Ron and Hermione following at a run. "Night, Bucky!" I called back as she ran to catch up with them.

***********************************

Sorry for short little chapter. :)

Please comment and like!

-Leap

***********************************