Chapter 1

Mitch's POV

I wake up, feeling chills down my spine. It's a cold morning. I realize what today is "t-the reaping" I say quietly yawning rubbing my eye.

I sit up, I see my little sister Kylie curled up with my Mother. Mother use to take care of us. Now I take care of our 3 person household.

Our brother Connor, he is living with our uncle. in the Capitol. lucky dick. he was 12 and never visited us because our uncle says "the districts are dangerous" cough cough the Capitol is technically a district.

Our ugly ass cat, Buttercup hopped up Into my lap. i hated him. But Kylie loved him.

My sister Kylie started waking up with loud groans. "Mornin" she says quietly. "Mornin to you too" I say back. she was only 13 so this year was her second reaping. She was terrified last year. She cried leaving the house, I had to calm her down since mom never wakes up early, and I take responsibility. "You scared?" I asked nervously. "Y-yea" she replied. Buttercup hopped out of my lap and crawled next to Kylie. "Hey buddy" she said, brushing his fur.

I got up and walked over to my normal day clothes which was a red-brown checkered hoodie, white t-shirt, and jeans that had little holes in them. I couldn't buy new ones since we didn't have much money. I changed out of my pjs into my clothes.

"Well I'm leaving" I said waving back to Kylie who was nestling up with Buttercup and Mom.

I walked thought our little town. Seeing people with big poles, announcers, and worst of all. People from the Capitol. I sneaked around not wanting them to see me. I jumped over the barbed wires that were practically torn down. I ran straight into the woods. Looking around for that one tree I hide my bow in. I found my hollow tree. It had a Bow and quiver inside it.

I darted deeper into the woods, looking for Sky. I checked inside my little bag for something. I notice a little box in it. It was full of Goat cheese. Good job Kylie, she probably put this in my bag when I was sleeping. She usually goes around the square selling here goat cheese to the other marketers, she often gets coins and this one time she got a necklace.

I heard something running. I quickly placed an arrow on my bow. I listen quietly, until I saw some...one? It was Sky!? "Mitch!" he called out. He ran to me. "Hey Mitch! look what I shot" he held up a loaf of bread, with an arrow in it. it smelled so good. i sniffed the loaf "Mmmmm it's still warm" I said.

"What did pay for it?" I say. "Just one squirrel," he said chuckling. I pulled the arrow out of the bread. "Hey Adam, look what Kylie gave me." I took out the cheese out of my bag. "Thanks Kylie, we'll have a good meal now."

"Happy Hunger Games!" he says holding up a piece of bread.

"And may the odds-" I say grabbing some Blackberries from a nearby bush. He took some from me and plopped them into his mouth. he finishes chewing and say "be ever in your favor!"

We both laugh eating the bread, cheese, and blackberries. I try grabbing for more blackberries. I realize, we ate them all.

"We could do it, you know," Sky says.

"What?" I ask

"Leave the district. Run away. Live in the wood. You and I, we could make it" he says

I couldn't respond.

"If we didn't have so many kids" he adds, I laugh. well they weren't are kids, they were Sky's siblings and Kylie. Also add our moms cause they can't live without us. because Me and Sky were the head of both of our households.

"We can't have kids anyway" I say.

He laughs at that horrible joke.

The conversation just faded.

On our way back, we stopped by the black market. It was a warehouse that use to hold our districts supply. but no it was abandoned. we look at a couple different saleshops. we were finished looking around. We walked some more leaving the market. we live away from each other. So we had to spit up "wear something decent Mitch" he says teasingly. "okay, see ya at the reaping" I say back.

We walk our ways to our houses. I walk a couple minutes and I can't see Adam anymore.

I get home and I see Kylie and Mom dressed up already, Kylie can't keep the back of her shirt tucked in *face palm*

"Tuck your tail" I say to Kylie. "Go get clean" mom says tucking in Kylie's Tail. I take off my clothes and get in the tub of warm water.

I finished and got out. I grabbed my towel and dried up. I walked out with the towel rapped around my waist. Mom placed a nice white dress shirt and some back pants on my bed.

I put the shirt over my head and look into the mirror. it looks a little big but that's how dress shirt are supposed to look. I put some underwear on first. duh. then I pull the pants on. it looked good on me. I gave myself a quick wink and walked out of the bathroom.

,Kylie was wearing a Really nice dress. "you look nice" I say to her. "you too" she says back while mom was fixing her hair into a ponytail.

I guess she's safe. it's here second reaping. she only put in there twice. Out of 8,000 people? I don't think she'll get picked.

Our family walks to square, where the reaping is held. the square is one of the pleasant places of our district. there is a stage in front of the square. I see the two big bowls on on the stage. One bowl for Humans. my name written 23 times. You get more put in when you steal from the district, what? Would you rather starve to death or put in the Hunger Games? Hunger games is my vote.

Another Bowl for,

The Baccas

Baccas were hybrids. you were lucky if you got a fighting bacca because they kill amazingly.

The clock just strikes 2. I see a little Lady with bright, blue, poofy hair. Ashley Marrie was her name. she taps the mic with her finger.

She gives the "how the Capitol was created and how we have to give respect to it" lecture. forcing kid to fight and kill for entertainment? This Is the way the Capitol reminds us how we lost. here let's sum it up: "we take your kids let them kill themselves and you can't do anything."

"Happy Hunger Games! and may the odds be ever in your favor" Cupquake says. I look throught the crowed looking for Sky and Kylie. I see Kylie she's near the front, because she's young. then I spot Sky who was a couple rows behind me. I smile at him to lighten the mood. she easily smiles back.

"Okay! time to go. Humans first!" she says she says walking toward the first big bowl labeled human. I nervously waited until she put her hand into the bowl spinning her hand around. grabbing on little piece of paper.

She walks back to the podium and she clears her thought. it's....

Kylie Hughes

---------------

Yay chapter 1 done! Okay I'm good and tired I haven't slept for two days because Sky has a Concussion :(

PLZ like vote, comment, and follow

<3