1: an intrøspective beat

🎤 TYLER'S PØV 🎼

"Have you met the new drummer in school?

"Who?"

"Well, he will be joining you, Tyler."

"Oh."

I wasn't too sure what Mr Stump was saying, but the two other judges nodded in agreement.

"I think both of you would make a great pair!" and this was one of the many times where Mr Urie's grin looked slightly devilish, but I knew he wasn't being sarcastic. That was good.

"Wait... Joining me?"

"Yep, we pair up the contestants in the individual category," Mr Wentz enlightened me, "we thought it would be more fun."

Oh... Oh no. Well there's a reason people join the school talent competition alone right? Sigh. Most other people signed up as bands or at least in pairs. Then there's me.

Simply put, I don't really like people much. Interacting with them, I mean. Humankind is rather amazing I would say, but I don't know who I can trust. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I don't want to trust.

But what is trust?

Giving someone a gun and letting them put it to your head, knowing that they wouldn't shoot?

Metaphorically, I think my thoughts made sense. Somewhat.

My train of thought was interrupted by a loud crash coming from outside the classroom. There were two knocks on the door, soft and unsure. A boy walked in.

The first thing I noticed was his grin. Second, his hair was FLAMING PINK.
Third, he was trying to get a drumset into the room. His gaze went from the judges to me, and at that instant I think I felt myself jump.

I might have been staring, but I quickly snapped out of it and ran over to help him carry the drums in. The smile he gave me was strangely better than the word "thanks" that I didn't really expect in the first place. Not in this society I happened to live in where gratefulness wasn't exactly trendy. His voice resonated in my ears over and over. It was... Hmm. How do you describe a voice? Sincere, happy, spunky?

"Joshua Dun? Show us what you got."

Joshua. What a name.

He nodded in response to the judges and took a moment to collect himself. I sat beside the piano, watching him from the other side of the room. Everything I heard thereafter was just breathtaking.

I wasn't too experienced with the drums, how do you describe a drum solo? That was sick as frick!!!

With his last crash, I subconsciously stood up and joined the three judges in clapping.

"Such talent!" that meant a lot, coming from Mr Urie who could also play the drums (and a bunch of other instruments). His vocal range was also as large as his forehead.

In fact, all three judges were the extremely talented, too talented to simply be music teachers in our school. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to form a band and got famous. Mr Wentz rocks the bass, I consider him an emo god with his dark eyeliner. Meanwhile, Mr Stump has the best manners in the world, and a soul voice. A real idol.

"It's your turn Tyler, amaze us once again."

It was going to be my second time performing for them, but somehow I was even more nervous. The first round was for the initial auditions, where I did a cover of Can't Help Falling In Love, on my uke.