Chapter 1 - The Mystery Man

Singing my heart out like I always did. I let the music overtake me and help me escape from the world I lived in, if you could call it living. Playing on the street corner was all I was allowed to do in terms of making my own money and having any social interaction beyond that of Kevin.

Kevin is a ruthless man who takes advantage wherever he sees the opportunity. I met him three years earlier, when I was 14, and thought he was the greatest thing to come into my life. He somehow convinced my parents to let me move in with him. He moved us across the country and then faked my death so that my parents wouldn't come looking for me or talk to me. He cut off all contact I had with my prior life and kept a very close eye on me. I could barely go to the store without being interrogated. I was a prisoner and a hopeless one at that. But I told myself I wouldn't let Stockholm Syndrome overtake my sense of rationality.

When I sang on the street it gave me a sense of self worth. Like for a small piece of time I had my old life back. It wasn't unusual for people to video tape my performance or drop money into my old, beat-up guitar case. I loved everything that went on. It interested me to see the different kinds of people who would filter in to see me perform, living their own individual lives. I would often wonder what their lives were like and try to make everyone smile because that's something I couldn't do. At least not on the inside.

Little did I know that this street performance wasn't like any other I've done. Little did I know my life would be flipped upside down all because of one spectator.

I was feeling good about my performance so far. I had hit every note and had good tone. On-lookers were video taping me. But then towards the back of the crowd I noticed a man, not much older than me, who was so beautiful. He was one of the most beautiful men I'd ever seen. He has brown, curly hair, toned arms stretched out from his loose, grey v-neck, dimples you could drink from, a smile that made the stars take a holiday, and his eyes. His eyes were what drew me in. So pure. So intriguing. Giving off a glisten of having lived 100 lives in 1. Their sparkle so natural and genuine. I almost became hypnotized by their beauty and had to snap myself out of his intoxicating trance to continue playing. I would glance over to him every so often to find him fixated on me. He made me so nervous and I loved it.

After finishing my set people stepped forward to put money in my case, giving compliments and thanks, and going on their way. As I was packing up, however, the man I had noticed approached me. His confidence radiated from him with ease.

"That was amazing" he said.

"Thank you! It's so nice of you to stay and listen." I replied.

"Of course! I couldn't NOT stay when such a beautiful girl has such talent!"

Did he just.. Did I hear him right? No. He said I'm beautiful? AND talented? Is he talking to the right person?

I tried to conceal my reddening face as I thanked him for the compliment.

"Where did you learn to play and sing like that?" He questioned

"I taught myself actually. I.. " I started to explain more when I noticed what time it was. Kevin expected me home at 4:30 and it was 4:20 now! I gasped and said, "I'm sorry. I have to go. I would love to talk more! I hope you can understand."

"When will I see you again?" The man asked.

"Hopefully the next time I play! I'm sorry, I really have to go!" And with that I ran to the bus.

After boarding I realized I hadn't even learned his name and he never learned mine! I really hoped he would be there the next time I played because I felt something between us. Something I'd never felt before and certainly nothing like how I felt the first time I met Kevin.

I couldn't worry about that right now, though, because it was 4:27 and I was 5 minutes from home!

I ran as fast as I could when the bus stopped at my stop. It was 4:33 when I walked in the door and I braced for the worst.

Walking into the living room, I put my guitar case down and slowly walked to the recliner facing away from me.

"I'm home." I said nervously.

"You're three minutes late." A hoarse voice replied.

"I know, I'm sorry." I said, trying to strengthen my shaky voice. "The bus ran into some traffic."

"You know I get angry when you disobey me!" Kevin said, voice becoming agitated as he stood and stepped towards, forcing me back against the wall.