11. Blondes

The streets seem a lot busier than they usually are. Everyone seems in my face. I keep my head low and wish I would've grabbed that jacket. My apartment isn't that far, but then I remember my encounter with Chris Banter and grow even more paranoid. My eyes dart around, sizing up everyone. My heart drums, making loud thumps the only thing I can hear.

I take a deep breath and duck into an alley, catching my breath. My anxiety hasn't been this bad in a long time. Since the Red Room. I close my eyes and count to ten, taking in a breath.

"Go! Get out of here!"

"No! Not without you!"

"You're! My! Mission!"

"Then finish it."

"I can get by on my own."

"The thing is, you don't have to."

"I'm with you 'til the end of the line, pal."

"Bucky! No!"

I let out a scream, clutching my hair between my hands. People passing by send me looks and I let out an apology, my voice cracking.

I have no where to go. I'm stuck in this city, this crowded and loud city. My mind blanks completely and my facial features set into parallel lines. My first instinct is to run, but I'll get no where on my feet. There are no ladders around me. My only option is to snake through alleys. I side step farther into the alley and walk briskly. The loud shrieks of cars and people grow eerie, now I mostly hear dripping and a dog barking somewhere off. I'm not scared, however. I know I can handle myself if anyone attacks me.

"Bucky Barnes," I voice creaks, not close, but not too far. My eyebrows come together so close it hurts. My eyes are wild and frantic, searching. Maybe I'm hearing things.

"I'm surprised you stopped," it laughs, "I'm surprised you remember that name after all we did to you." I hear a young chuckle and shuffling. My ears perk up and I turn 180°.

"Do you remember it? The torture. The whipping. The shocking. The waterboarding. The shooting-"

"Stop," I warn, my voice dangerous and low.

"I'm sorry? Am I frightening you?"

I spin in a circle. He's obviously closer now.

"No," I spit angrily.

"Hm, you don't seem like it. Look at you, shaky and worn. It's hard to believe you're HYDRA's number one weapon. You're even carrying a backpack," he laughs and I only do so much as blink. Out of the corner of my eye I spot a shimmer. He's there. I don't give away my knowledge, though. Instead, I turn my back to him. I need him closer.

"..but who's the one cowering in the shadows?" I pout my lip, fully aware he can't see it.

"Still have that smart mouth I see. Thought we smacked it off of you." I hear a shuffle directly behind me and throw out a leg, hitting him square in the knee. He groans in pain and I whip around, grabbing his hair and thrusting a foot up into his nose. He rolls to the side, yanking my foot with him.

I scowl and stumble backward, allowing him time to stand up. He looks familiar. I stare at his face. It's burned. His skin is pink and folded. It looks like it happened a while ago. I can't put a finger on it. I can't do that on much nowadays. He charges towards me and I walk a step or two, meeting him there with a metal fist. At the last second, he turns to the side and sends a hand straight into the back of my bicep. My arm sizzles and the plating shifts. Hm, he seemed to have done his homework. I turn around, throwing my human hand into his temple. He shrieks and stumbles, allowing me to kick him in the groin.