Puppeteer

There were once three boys. One was named Christopher, one Gregory, and one Felix. They knew each other as long as they could remember.

Christopher was deaf. He often felt left out of social situations because of this. Until he met Felix.

Felix was blind. He stayed in the background and listened by his own choice. Until he met Gregory.

Gregory was paralyzed from the waist down. He could hear his own voice and see his own face in the mirror, but couldn't walk on his own and depended on others most of his life.

When the three met, they immediately began to help each other face the world. Together, they felt like they could achieve anything.

They were the best of freinds.

They knew everything there was to know about each other. Christopher knew that Felix liked music, even though he could never experience the sounds himself. Felix knew that Christopher loved dancing, although he would never understand why it was so entertaining to watch and so difficult to do correctly. Gregory knew that both of them wished they had the senses they were denied, yet always wanted to give up both his sight and hearing just to stand on his own.

Inside themselves, they didn't understand the desires of the others. Still, they were children, and this didn't hinder their friendship.

As time passed, their relationship only grew stronger. It became routine for Christopher and Felix to help Gregory accomplish small feats. It was expected of Gregory to translate between the two as well.

These little things were all just part of the day for the three. They had upbeat conversations about everything children their age would, and were, in essence, normal.

That is...until the day of the accident.

Christopher was returning home from his art class after school, walking because it wasn't that far. He closed his eyes for a moment to savor the crisp feeling of the autumn weather. He didn't realize the speeding car until it was too late.

Christopher died that day. Gregory and Felix sat by him with clenched fists of desperation and frustration as his life drained from his body.

But their own lives went on.

Felix threw himself into his music, but Gregory had nothing to distract himself from the raw depression of losing one of the people he cared most about.

Gregory began to do....odd things.

Sometimes, he would demand Felix to do things he could do easily. This could be explained as joking around, but Gregory was very aggressive about his demands.

They started off as things such as getting him a glass of water, or making him food. Then his demands grew irrational. He ordered Felix to help him to his feet, then would push him away and let himself fall, immediately telling his friend to help him up again. This cycle would begin and end randomly throughout the day. The final stage in this progression was made up of completely impossible commands.

Gregory told Felix to make him be able to walk so he could dance like he "used to." Of course, Gregory could never, and would never, walk or dance in his life. He also ordered him to bring back Christopher, trying to bribe his friend with false memories of days spent listening to music and painting and drawing and fooling around.

Felix was getting more and more frightened by his lifelong companion. He was just about to report his friend's behavior to a psychologist when it all just...stopped.

Gregory didn't ask for another thing from Felix, and seemed to be happy in life again.

Two nights later, Felix was found dead in a chapel, hanging from ropes tied at his joints. A video camera was found at the scene of the crime.

"Hello, my name is Greg and I'm going to put on a show for you!"

Gregory moved out of the camera's view, revealing the strung-up Felix with a sock in his mouth, his blind eyes staring around in a desperate attempt to escape. He was thrashing wildly, but his efforts were in vain.

Gregory moved to a place behind Felix and began tugging on the ropes, jerking his former best friend's limbs around from his perch in his wheelchair.

At first, the motions seemed erratic and random, but as the video went on, a pattern could be recognized.

In the background, Gregory was laughing. This went on for a long time.

Felix began to fight his controlling restraints.

Gregory roared with the voice of two, "Dance for my amusement,"

"Brother."