When Dragons Attack and Tragedy Strikes: An Interlude

"A diplomatic envoy?" Cersei said through gritted teeth. Margaery placed her hands in her lap, settling back in her chair in preparation for her future Good-Mother's tantrum. The girl had learned early on that the Queen was a truly temperamental woman, more likely to shout and scream about something she did not want than to work for what she wanted. Margaery knew the value of kind words, but she wasn't about to interrupt the Queen to tell her that.

Unfortunately, since the war had descended on King's Landing- and indeed, on the Seven Kingdoms as a whole- Margaery had been expected to spend even more time with Cersei that she'd had to before. Her grandmother had wanted her to keep an eye on the woman from the time she'd appeared at court, but that was different than the way the court ladies were expected to huddle together, for safety or perhaps to keep them out of the way of the men, with their important important duties.

"The King is incredibly wise to think of it," she said mildly. "It could save countless lives."

"It's cowardly. My father could crush those savages. Every day that Robert twiddles his thumbs and hesitates, my son is in danger. He risks your future, as well," Cersei pointed out, voice bitingly cold. "I know how ambitious you Tyrells are. Wouldn't want to pass up being queen, would you?"

Margaery simply smiled, not bothering to respond to the woman. Cersei was simply lashing out, saying foolish things that Margaery would never voice in a thousand years. But no one would ever call Cersei subtle.

Still, Margaery couldn't help but worry. Cersei was right. Every day that Gendry was out in the field put his life in danger. She was fond of him, truly. Part of the attraction was his position, but Margaery also thought he was rather clever, and handsome. There was his odd fascination with Sansa's bastard sister, but the Prince was much too honorable to act on any attractions. Margaery was sure that she'd set him straight on their wedding night. No one could resist her when she put her mind- and her body- to the task of winning them over.

"I fear for Gendry's life for the same reason as you, Your Grace. Tremendous affection for him."

"I'm sure," Cersei replied shortly. Suddenly she turned to the maid hovering at the edge of the room. "More wine."

Margaery had to fight not to roll her eyes at the older woman.

"Do you fear for Sansa Stark?" Cersei asked. "Weren't the two of you rather close?"

She was cautious with her next few words, unsure what the Queen could be fishing for. She knew the question wasn't simply the Queen asking after her feelings. Maybe she was trying to catch her sympathizing with traitors.

"Sansa Dayne has made her decision. She remained loyal to her husband. As I will remain loyal to my betrothed and his family. To the Iron Throne."

"How patriotic."

She let out a small breath, sure she'd passed the hardest test the Queen would throw at her during their short midday meal. But then Cersei began again.

"Your family are filthy opportunists. You may think you've fooled us, but I will not let you hurt my children. Charm my husband and my son all you'd like, but I will watch you."

"Your Grace...I- I just remembered that my grandmother asked me to attend her today. I'm sorry to leave on this note, but I would request your leave?" Margaery asked, barely keeping her voice from shaking. The Queen had just threatened her, openly. And while Margaery would like to believe her position rather stable, she knew that there were no guarantees. It was much safer to avoid Cersei Lannister from then on. Or at least for the rest of the day.

The Queen waved her away, smirking, and Margaery left the room quickly, back ramrod straight. It was only when she'd made it several lengths down the corridor that she allowed herself to let out a heavy, frightened breath. Her grandmother needed to hear about this, soon.