Chapter 3

Thankyou to all of the people who read, voted and/or commented on this story, it encouraged me to continue when I would have simply given up on it. So thankyou all so much and this is dedicated to all of you.

InfinityRabbit

The ride back to our pack was tense and mostly silent; we had not been back in a number of years so we were all a little nervous, though I was the only one showing it. I watched the trees fly past my window as we sped along the freeway. I could practically feel my brother’s anger and fear like a blanket over the car’s interior and it was suffocating to a mass degree. I was still trying to process what had happened just hours ago. My brothers and I have had to flee our home, escaping from vampires who want my blood for themselves, we have had to leave and it is my entire fault. I may not have wanted things to turn out like this but it has happened this way and now we have to return to our pack, the Whitestone Pack, to find sanctuary.

I don’t know how the pack is going to treat us since we hadn’t been to the main town in over four years and haven’t lived there since I was ten. I am not as worried for my brothers as I am for my own acceptance back into the pack, what if they see me as a nuisance and feel that I will just cause trouble for the pack?

“Are you OK, Kisa?” Nicholas asks, startling me out of my thoughts.

“I’m fine, just worried I guess,” I say. I don’t want them to worry for me, they do that enough already.

Looking out the window with interest to try and avoid conversation I watched the trees sway in the wind and listened to the sound of the tyres speeding down the asphalt road. My thoughts drifted to the last time I had gone to the Whitestone Pack.

The Pack makes up a large portion of the nearby town of Lagoon, the rest of the people are all human and most of them don’t know about the existence of werewolves. I remember my father telling me when I was young that being able to turn into a wolf was a gift and we didn’t want to make people jealous by telling them, it wasn’t until I got older that I understood that we couldn’t tell others because if they knew we would probably be hunted down.

Werewolves are a myth, a kind of boogeymen, and if a human were to discover and expose us then fear would take over and we would lose any chance at a normal life that we desire. To protect our way of life we must keep this secret.

The town of Lagoon is located in the midst of an overwhelming forest; it’s an old town that used to be the main homes of loggers as they tried to cut their way through the forest trying to overwhelm them. Obviously it is no longer a logging town but there are still small signs that point towards its true heritage. As a mythical creature that is only ever truly at home in the forest we werewolves, and most other shifters, are against any action that could hurt our natural environments. With our ancestors somehow finding a way to convert the townsfolk it is now up to us to keep it that way and ensure that our woods are protected.

The last time I had gone to the Pack house, our main meeting point, a terrifying series of events had occurred and I had not returned since. One of my greatest fears was that the same thing would be repeated, the event had given me nightmares for whole months afterwards and almost driven my overprotective brothers insane with guilt and rage. My brothers had gotten better over the last few years but they would still have moments of raging overprotectiveness, I myself still experienced the nightmares that never went away whenever I was stressed or afraid.

Not wanting to focus back onto the past I tried to focus more on my surrounding and the noises made outside, from the hum of the car’s engine to the crunch of gravel and leaves as the vehicle passed over the asphalt.

It was some time later that we finally arrived in the town of Lagoon. The houses were still the same old creaky buildings that they had been when I last visited at the impressionable age of twelve, even the shopping strip was the same dirty grey and faded yellows and browns that it had been four years ago. I could feel my stomach beginning to protest at the sight of the small cafes and food stalls that we drove past, but to be honest I didn’t think that I could keep any food down in my anxious state.

I already knew that we weren’t going to stop at any of the little stores anyway; our sole destination was the Pack’s main house. We were going to have to face the Alpha pair before we would be granted permission to stay within the town. That was just the way it was with werewolves, we were a very territorial species that acted much like our wilder counterparts, so we had a certain set of uniform rules and customs we followed to guarantee that no fighting could bring about our exposure.

Finally reaching the driveway of the imposing white building, I knew that today I was going to experience one of the toughest situations of my life and I felt my anxiety rise as I saw the front door finally open to reveal the two most powerful people in the Whitestone Pack.

I already knew that we weren’t going to stop at any of the little stores anyway; our sole destination was the Pack’s main house. We were going to have to face the Alpha pair before we would be granted permission to stay within the town. That was just the way it was with werewolves, we were a very territorial species that acted much like our wilder counterparts, so we had a certain set of uniform rules and customs we followed to guarantee that no fighting could bring about our exposure.

Finally reaching the driveway of the imposing white building, I knew that today I was going to experience one of the toughest situations of my life and I felt my anxiety rise as I saw the front door finally open to reveal the two most powerful people in the Whitestone Pack.