"It's called mind compulsion. Vampires can compel humans. Originals, like Klaus and his siblings, can also compel vampires, and no one can compel Originals. You following?" the new vampire nodded.

"Good. That is how a brand-new nightwalker such as yourself is here doing my bidding with no one the wiser," Klaus smirked.

"But I never had my guts drained out of me."

"Yes. That, young Joshua, is because I got to you before you had even a drop of herbal vervain in your system," the hybrid explained. "You see, it prevents compulsion. Marcel has had his whole crew taking it since I returned to town, and that is why our friend here needs to be bled dry of it, so I can compel him to follow my every command. And with my brother currently in captivity awaiting rescue, we can't afford to be gentle about it, can we?"

Madison took back the pitchfork and drove it into the vampire once again, twisting it so that more blood would come out.

-

Klaus, Rebekah, and Sophie sat in the study discussing their plan while Madison eavesdropped from outside.

"Are you out of your mind? No way," Sophie denied incredulously.

"It's very simple – we need you to perform a teeny, tiny locator spell to help us find our brother," Rebekah shrugged.

"Witches who practice magic in this town get caught, and then they get killed," the witch scoffed. "Why don't you get Madison to do it? She's the one that can freely practice magic without being caught."

"Madison and I have spoken, she's not getting involved just yet. But, it seems you left out a crucial detail when we made our deal – Marcel's secret weapon, the way he knows when a witch is using magic..."

"Girl about yea high, cute as a button, anger issues?" Rebekah continued on for her brother.

"Davina?" a shocked look covered Sophie's face when she realised who they were talking about. "Where have you seen her?"

"I don't know. The little brat erased my memory right after she threw me out a window with her bloody mind."

"Let me cut to the chase. Davina has Elijah. You witches, I assume, want to get Davina away from Marcel. We don't know where she is. Ergo, we need magic," the hybrid raised his eyebrows at Madison as she entered the study.

"Davina would sense it," Sophie denied once again.

"Unless, of course, another witch – say, a traitor to the cause, Katie for example – was to perform much more powerful magic at the same time," Madison locked eyes with the witch. "That would create a smokescreen, concealing your very small spell from Davina."

"Katie doesn't deserve to die."

Klaus slammed his hands on the table angrily, "Sophie Deveraux! You're in no position to be so principled. You can't win a war without a few strategic losses, no matter how regrettable they may be."

"Okay, I know I was gone for, like, months but that doesn't change the fact that I'm the Supreme," Madison began. "If Katie dies, I can bring her back."

The two witches stared at each other for a long moment before the brunette finally spoke, "I'll do it."

-

Madison looked down at the pool reflecting the moonlight, instantly feeling at ease. There was something about the moon that made her feel that way. But the feeling was short lived, she tensed when she heard a twig snap. Madison's eyes shot open, meeting those of a wolf.

"You're not supposed to be out here," a familiar voice made Madison look away.

"What are you doing here, Sabine?"