Spirit sat in his home, not knowing what to do...

Maka would surely be hurt no matter what he told her... He knew that much... However, he'd much rather her be angry with him than be heartbroken...

They had both made something up before this happened. Neither of them liked what the outcome of this idea would be, but neither wanted their daughter heartbroken.

So Spirit lied. He lied about where Maka's mother was, and lied about everything.

The worst part of this, was he was lying about his wife even being alive...

She had passed away due to a sickness, and no one could do anything about it.

Over the years, Spirit never said a word about what really happened with Maka's mother.

On the anniversary of Maka's mother's death, Spirit always seemed to be in a bad mood, and typically wouldn't do very much. He wouldn't do or say anything dumb, and, although she didn't talk to him much, he never seemed as happy to see Maka when she came in.

She reminded him so much of  her mother... It was killing him to feel like Maka would always hate him, but, again, he'd much rather have her hate him that for her to be upset...

One day, Stein finally said something to Spirit about this, Lord Death agreeing with Stein to help, as both knew that this shouldn't go on forever.

"Tell her, she needs to know..." "She'll expect her mother to come back one day, she's not dumb Spirit, she'll figure it out," Lord Death said.

"I'm not telling her! I'm not going to sit there and watch her be heartbroken, what makes you think she'd believe me anyways?!" He snapped. "It's worth a shot, what will you do when she finds out for herself?" Stein asked. "I don't know... I'll think of something..."

However, it was too late for any of this. Maka was standing there, listening, her partner standing behind her.

"What about mom?" She asked, Spirit stiffening. Stein looked at Spirit. "Might as well tell her now..." 

"Tell me what?!" She was getting impatient, turning to Spirit. "What's going on here you-" "Maka," Stein snapped.

"Well, he's-" "He's going to tell you the truth, so let him."

Soul was confused, looking from all of them, to Maka, then back again. Maka was just as confused as her partner was. "You're mother didn't really leave... And, I know you probably won't believe me, but I didn't cheat on her," Spirit began. "Yeah right!" Maka yelled.

Spirit looked over at Lord Death and Stein. "Told you, she won't believe me, and she never will."

"Maka, just hear him out, he's telling you the truth," Lord Death said. Maka looked at Spirit, waiting for him to finish. "You-you're mother... You're mother died... She had gotten sick, and there was nothing anyone could do... Those postcards you got from her were really from me..." Spirit couldn't look her in the eyes, looking at the floor.

"Y-you're lying!" Maka exclaimed. She knew he wasn't... Using soul perception, she knew good and well he wasn't lying. "I-I'm sorry," Spirit finished, still not looking at his daughter...

Maka fell to her knees, crying. Spirit, thinking she would push him away still, walked over and tried hugging her. Surprisingly to him, she hugged back...

"I'm sorry," she said in between sobs. "I'm sorry."