Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Once the exam is finished, a message blinks on my hologram.

Please remember the final two locations for your Profession Exams.

Day 4 – Circle Room 2

Day 5 – Circle Room 15

I gasp at the final location. I’ve never been to Circle Room 15. I didn’t know there was a Circle Room 15. We can’t venture that far down the hall. The furthest I’ve ever been is Circle Room 10.

Girls stand and begin leaving the room. I numbly stagger out of the room. Why would we have to go all the way to Circle Room 15? What’s down there that isn’t in any of the other Circle Rooms?

˚˚°˚˚

My Renewal Official’s gaze darts around the room throughout my Renewals. What’s wrong? She drops a vial of makeup, a loud clatter filling the air. Fine pale dust coats the floor. She twists her mouth and cleans it up, muttering under her breath. Once her mess has disappeared, she hurriedly applies the rest of my makeup.

She bites her lip, and scans the rooms again before going over my mascara again. She whispers into my ear, “Dawn. My name.”

She tilts her head away, as if she was only examining her work. She dismisses me without a glance.

I stumble to the Eating Hall. Why would she tell me this? Not every Renewal Official gives away this many secrets. Why do I need to know?

I press my thumb into the scanner for my food. An Official marches over with my oatmush and sets it down in front of the counter. I take my tray, and find my seat. Piper and Kate join me. I push the tasteless oatmush through my lips.

Sienna catches my eye as she sits down. A slight spark dances in her eye. Today she’s going to sneak out with us. We go back to focusing on the wall in front of us.

The Teaching Bell rings.

We place our trays on the conveyor belt and file out of the Eating Hall. I allow myself a few minutes in the Toilets and I stand in the stall thinking.

Why would Dawn tell me her name? What would be in it for her? Why would she want me to know?

What piece am I missing that connects this all together?

˚˚°˚˚

I slip on to my stool during Late Meal. I begin eating my bread. Sienna sits down besides me, keeping her eyes on the tray.  Sienna’s fingers fold up her napkin and slip it into the waistband of her skirt.

She’s coming tonight.

˚˚°˚˚

I walk to the Circle Room for my Profession Exam, my fourth one. The exams are almost over. What are my results saying? What Profession will I get?

I take a seat on my stool and tap up the hologram. The questions immediately appear.

Profession Exam Four

Pick the answer that you believe is correct for the situation provided.

1. You see a girl whisper in the halls. You should…

            a) Ignore it. Pointing it out would suggest inequality.

            b) Report it quietly to an Official without disruption. She deserves to be in the Unknown.

            c) Quietly reprimand her during Free Hour. There’s no need to inconvenience an Official if you can take care of it yourself.