Destroying Doubt

A/N: How do we destroy doubt? Faith is a hard thing to have, and doubt is not. Why is that? Why is it so easy to have doubt in everything, to think that it's all just a waste of time, and it's so difficult to view things the other way around? Every once in awhile, we just need to stop, pray, and ask if we have the right faith. It's easy to get caught up in life and doubt that God can do what He says He will. Just have faith. He will "never leave us, nor forsake us." :)

John 20:1-29.

Vs. 27. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

"Thomas, he was here! The Messiah was here!"

"More than likely it was just someone who looks like him."

"No, no! It was him! We would know the face of Jesus anywhere!"

Thomas gazed skeptically at the eleven excited faces gathered around him. The disciples, his friends, were attempting to convince him that Jesus, the King of the Jews, had risen from the dead in three days time.

"Men," he said finally. "There is no way Jesus could be alive! It was seen, the blood dripping down his brow, the marks from the scourging on his back, the dirt on his face, and the blood and water pouring out of his side. He is dead! And, it has been eight days since you say this happened. If he really lives, why have I not seen him?"

"No, Thomas!" one disciple shouted. "Mary Magdalene came and told this unto us, that the Lord lives."

"But that is not...."

"Wait." The disciple held up his hands. "When evening came, Jesus came unto us, and he said "Peace be unto you." He showed us his hands, his feet, his side. And we knew then that it was the Lord. He had risen in three days time, just as he said he would."

Thomas crossed his arms. No. It had not happened. His friends had been imaging things. Jesus was dead.

The speaking disciple continued.

"He then said again "Peace be unto you. As my father sent me, even so send I you."

Thomas did not wait for any more to be said. He broke in abruptly.

"Unless I see him, and put my fingers where the nails were, and thrust my hand into the hole in his side, I will not believe."

 If a sudden change in feeling had not overtaken the room, Thomas would have no doubt continued his rant. As it was, the strange feeling could not be explained, but the atmosphere was.... different. Thomas blinked, and before he could grasp anything that was happening, there was a figure standing in the center of the room. Thomas looked about, confused, and all of the doors were shut tightly.

How could this man have gotten here? He wondered fearfully.

He took a closer look at the figure, and he gasped. Just like the other disciples had said, he would know that face anywhere. It was, indeed, Jesus.

The other disciples were right! Jesus is risen!

The Messiah leveled his gaze on Thomas, and without tearing away his eyes, he said in a strong, clear voice "Peace be unto you."

Thomas swallowed, and fought the urge to run out of the room. Jesus knew his disciple had doubted, of this there was no question.

"Reach out your fingers and behold my hands," Jesus said to Thomas. "Reach out your hand and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing."

Thomas made no move to do any of this. Instead, with his heart pounding and tears pouring down his face, he answered and said,

"My Lord, and my God."

The rest of the disciples stood silently, not daring to even whisper. Had doubting Thomas stopped doubting? Yes, he had. And it had only taken the face of the Messiah.

Jesus once again spoke to Thomas.

"Thomas, because you have seen me, you have believed. But blessed are they who have not seen, and yet have believed."

Thomas held his breath. The power radiating out of those words was amazing. He would never doubt again. For the rest of his life, he was filled with their message. Over and over, they repeated themselves to him.

"Because you have seen me, you have believed. But blessed are they who have not seen, and yet have believed."

John 20:1-29.

Vs. 29. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

I BelieveOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara