"She was thinking about Obi-san, wasn't she?" he questioned.

"So even you can see it," Garrak hummed. Tapping at her chin she leaned back in her chair and added, "I wonder if they will before Kumiko makes her big decision."

AAA

Kumiko spent the rest of the day in her room staring up at the ceiling as she laid in bed with her foot propped up. Her mind was running through dozens of options once she won back her sword. Her head felt dizzy with all the thoughts swarming about while her stomach growled. She had only had tea with Garrak all afternoon.

As the sun set Kumiko's room got darker and darker, she didn't bother lighting the lantern ot the candle next to her bed. She had a thousand other worries occupying her mind, so when Shirayuki knocked on her door she excused herself from their usual evening plans.

At some point Kumiko fell asleep, boots still on, hood still up and arms crossed behind her head. She was in and out of if for several hours until something tapping at her window caught her attention. Though she was certain that it was just a dream. Getting to her feet, sluggish with sleep, she pushed her hood back and ran a hand through her dual colored hair.

She trudged over to the window and pushed it open. Before she could check to see what was making the noise someone appeared on the sill. With a yawn she turned to see Obi red faced and half-lidded staring back at her.

Rubbing at her left temple Kumiko grumbled, "Whaddare you doin' here?"

Obi poked her forehead as he swayed where he sat. "Gotta question," he slurred.

Slumping against the open window Kumiko yawned again fighting to stay awake. "Oh yeah?" she breathed out after her yawn.

"Why'd you learn to use a sword?" he asked.

Kumiko tried to focus her vision on his face so she could read his intention, but all she saw was a blur of black, yellow and red.

"So I could take care of myself," she mumbled.

"Why?"

"Because I had to show him I didn't need 'im," Kumiko tiredly replied.

"Who?"

"Jerk Mitsu-nii," she yawned.

"What did he do?" he asked leaning towards her.

"He broke his promise," she uttered.

Kumiko let herself slide down onto the window seat she was kneeling on. Curling up like a child as she tucked her legs in and folded her arms to make a pillow next to Obi's lap.

"What was the promise?" Obi continued to straightforwardly ask.

Comfortable with her new position Kumiko closed her heavy lids as she recited, ""I swear as your big brother that I will always protect you, and if I fail then I should be killed as a pathetic brother. I'm here for you Kumi-chan."

Shaking her head slightly Kumiko frowned into her arms. "I was such a gullible kid," she sighed.

Suddenly there was something warm pressing against her forehead and the sweet scent of sake filled her nose. As the warmth pulled back something gentle caressed her hair. It lingered at the spot where her silver streak sprouted from her head.

"I swear," Obi said in a husky voice.

"You swear what?" Kumiko yawned again.

"To protect you since Mitsuhide failed," he stated.

"Okay," she said drifting back to sleep.

What a weird dream, she thought.

That would never happen. Obi didn't even call me "Little Mitsuhide," she told herself as she fell further into the realm of sleep.