Chapter 16: Touring Rapture

Start from the beginning

Ryan smiled. "Questionable as always Mr. Alexander, in fact, there is a place connected right beside the Farmer's Market that is currently under construction. I have gathered numerous scientists and will be searching for more who can help with the endeavour of growing trees down here in Rapture. All vegetation will reside in that certain part of Rapture, I call it Arcadia, unfortunately we will not be visiting it today on our tour. That is where all the organic and fresh food will be grown and bought by numerous vendors to sell to the people of Rapture here in the Farmer's Market."

Gil was astounded. Henry could barely believe it himself. Growing trees twenty thousand feet under the sea, it was an incredible idea. If anyone could think up something like that though, it would be Ryan.

The Farmer's Market consisted of various wooden stalls and tables with stone floors. It truly felt like a genuine market. There was also a winery and a bee-keeping centre that branched off from the market, but remained attached by walk-way tunnels.

Next up was Fort Frolic.  The group walked up the stairs and into the bathysphere transit lobby. 

Ryan turned to the crowd of people and smiled. "This area is called Fort Frolic. It is properly named for the many people who will no doubt frolic about this place. There is much to do here in Fort Frolic. It serves as a recreational centre for the people of Rapture and a visionary haven for the artistically talented. Several casinos, shops, theatres, bars, lounges and a specific...red light district are within the Fort."

"Now this was truly the pinnacle of Rapture's art deco" Henry thought. He and the others followed Ryan up the concrete stairs and through the automatic, metallic doors. Several slot machines were positioned on either sides of the hallway. Henry knew this place would attract hundreds with insatiable gambling addictions.

Ryan stopped at the end of the hallway doors and turned to face the crowd. "Welcome to Fort Frolic" and with that he opened the doors to reveal a massive opening. Colourful neon lights glowed bright advertising different shops. Rows upon rows of shops were lined along the walls. A large staircase stood in the middle of the massive room, connecting the two floors. 

Henry looked over to where Sander was standing. He looked like he was lost in thought, but his eyes were bright and he looked ecstatic. 

Sander began to chuckle to himself. "My God, its...its beautiful. My visionary haven. Fort Frolic. I can already sense the artistic splendour of this wonderful place. Just beautiful."

The group continued through Fort Frolic. They visited numerous casinos and shops that were still under renovation, but the crown jewel of Rapture's artistic haven was the theatre. Lights shone down on the stage, revealing a beautiful array of scarlet curtains and mahogany planks that made up the theatre's stage. Rows upon rows of red seats were placed neatly across the theatre. Balconies were also placed high up on the far sides, for the more refined guests. 

They stopped for lunch at one of the restaurants near Poseidon Plaza. Henry sat with Gil and Naledi, eating a finely cooked steak. He looked around at the others and found Sander sitting by himself, drinking scotch. Sander's eyes were glazed over, as if he was in an entirely different world from the rest of them. "What are you thinking about, Sander." thought Henry.

Sander payed no attention to his surroundings. He was too preoccupied, thinking of his artistic future. He could see it now. Up on stage, wearing his signature Italian tuxedo, bowing to the crowds of people awaiting his musical performance. He turned around and sat down on the black bench. The crowd fell silent as he would place his hands on the ivory keys of a giant piano. He would preform his newest composition, playing with such grace and rhythm, all would gaze in complete trance at his sensational musical talents. When he finished, he would sit in silence for a few seconds while the crowd gave a roaring applause. He would stand up and face the crowd again to take another bow, smile to the people applauding him, then walk off. Just the thought gave him the chilling sense of over-excitement.

The group finished their lunch and departed from Fort Frolic for the day. Ryan looked particularly excited about the next place they were visiting. They walked out of the bathysphere and up the steps of the bathysphere transit. While they walked through the glass-paned tunnels, Ryan spoke. "This place, this place is where industry is born. Where business can flourish without the hungering eyes of the parasite, watching and waiting to steal the profit. Where the engineer can build and repair for a wage of his own, free from the greedy hands of government taxes. Where the inventor can create in peace, without the degrading voice of the parasite telling him that he treads on the path of God. I built this place of industry, protected by the Great Chain, for the people of Rapture to flourish. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Hephaestus. 

Ryan stepped forward, triggering the automatic door to slide open and reveal an amazing sight. The stood in a walkway tunnel and stared through the glass at the largest building they had seen on the tour. Hephaestus loomed over Rapture as a massive machine of industry. The buildings were pure black with no windows and numerous wires jutting out from the bottom and top. Across the enormous building were massive red letters spelling out the name of Ryan's favourite place in Rapture.

Henry had never been more curious in his life, or surprised. Hephaestus, this was the place he would be sent build his inventions for Rapture. Here he knew the government could not reach him and steal his precious ideas. Here he was safe.

They group continued through the walkway and into Hephaestus itself. Already there were numerous workers clanging away with their hammers and wrenches, screwing bolts into place and fitting pipes. The floors were made of hardwood oak and the walls were a metallic bronze. Gears and cogs whirled endlessly in one spot will steam erupted from various pipes. Ryan led them into the central heart of Hephaestus. The area was a massive expanse of rooms and floors with metal ramps and stairs that led between the three floors that made a ring around a very peculiar device that nobody in the group could comprehend. 

Gil spoke again. "Mr. Ryan, if I may inquire, what is this strange device?"

Ryan chuckled again. "Full of so many questions Gilbert, this is the Harmonic Core of Hephaestus, it keeps all operating systems and machines and running at full capacity. It is also a security detail for my office. It allows me to control who I can let in and out of my own personal office."

Several group members whispered to each other. Naledi turned to look at Henry. "I don't know about you Hank, but I sure don't like the idea of a man controlling when I go in and out of any place."

Henry nodded. "Its definitely suspicious, but I don't plan on being in Mr. Ryan's office too much." 

When the group had finished walking throughout Hephaestus they returned to the massive bathysphere and headed back to Olympus Heights. The colour of the water had become dark blue, an indication that it was well into the evening. The soft glow of Rapture's neon lights shone bright in the growing darkness of the ocean. The streetlights that lined the long roads of Olympus Heights illuminated the way to the suites. Andrew Ryan stopped in front of the first tier of apartments. He turned to face the group and smiled.

"Well, this concludes our tour of Rapture. I hope you are all content with the amount of work that was put into this city to allow our freedom to thrive. Make no mistake, Rapture will expand and grow over time, but I will need each and every one of you to pull the Great Chain that will make this city paradise. Rest well tonight, tomorrow you begin your new lives in Rapture.

Later on in the night, when Henry was alone once again in his massive apartment with nothing but his thoughts, he remembered the secret room he had discovered earlier in the morning. He walked through his apartment, the soft lights of the ceiling illuminated his way to his room. He pushed the red button the led into his personal Workshop. The ceiling light flickered on as he walked across the room to the shelf at the back. He took the book of schematics and brought it back to his bedroom. Henry laid on his bed with the book, turning the pages slowly as he reviewed every invention he had ever created. When he was done looking over his schematics he flipped quickly though the hundreds of other blank pages. Henry didn't know how but he knew he would fill those pages with many ideas. Sleep slowly took over him as he thought of his first day of working in Rapture, the beginning of his new life.