1

"Okay, I'll accept your feelings."

She giggled, blushing. "Baka."

Under the swirl of cherry blossom petals, waltzing to celebrate the new lovers, Osana Najimi and... God forbid, Senpai kissed. They seemed like the happiest couple on earth.

Hand-in-hand, they strolled out of the school gated upon a backdrop of sunset.

When they were out of sight, Ayano came from her hiding place, approaching the beautiful tree. Her mind was numb; she didn't know what to do, or how to do it.

She collapsed in front of it, letting out a howl of anguish. Senpai was hers now. Now she'd never trace his face, or hold
his hand, or kiss his soft lips.

She had failed.

All these sacrifices... were in vain.

Kokona was in prison... For nothing.
Saki had committed suicide... For nothing.
Midori had died... For nothing.

As the list of even more lost people filled her head, she kneeled, a solitary tear dripping from her eye. What have I done?

A hand rested on her shoulder.

"Yes?" she asked coldly, without looking back.

"That was all in vain." Budo Masuta's deep voice rang in her ear.

"What was in vain?" She knew but she didn't dare say.

"Let's see. Kokona Haruka, Saki Miyu, Midori Gurin, Musume Ronshaku..."

So Budo knew.

"You're going to bring me to the police," she stated dryly. But with everything stripped from her, she didn't mind. She didn't care.

"No, I won't." His sureness spun Ayano around.

In a shaky voice, she risked, "How did you know anyway?"

A smile crept up on Budo's face. "Oh? I was suspicious. All these disappearances one after the other. So the Martial Arts Club decided to stalk their prime suspects. I chose you.

"And I saw you. But... you see, seeing your determination, your never-ending passion for that Yamada, sacrificing all you'll ever have... for him, I..." His voice got all quiet.

"I've fallen in love with Ayano Aishi."

Ayano froze. Then, she whispered, "I'm a monster. You don't love monsters."

Budo helped her stand, whilst continuing his speech. "So what? People change. You could not be a monster tomorrow. Osana could be a monster tomorrow. It's too early to tell the real you. And besides... I'm addicted to you. Right now, peeling my eyes off you would seem like torture. I'd give anything to spend a second with you. And I'm willing to put your past behind, just to have you."

Deep within Ayano, a small flower bud burst from her heart, and a strange sensation spread through her, making her whole body tingle.

It was love, she knew. But it wasn't the love for Senpai — the love that consumed her with numbness, that filled her with hunger, that kept her awake night after night, dreaming of a future with him, plotting every step to make sure it was as she seemed.

This love was different. It was a love that embraced her in contentment, protection, and steadiness. Her inner yandere has disappeared within it. Buried deep inside.

Ayano felt calm. No more scheming. With Budo, she wouldn't need to kill. Not any more.

He was right. People can change.

Under the flurry of sakuras, she returned the martial artist's love.